Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
please answer this >

please answer this

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please answer this

Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default please answer this

i went out the other day had to bucks come in but i couldnt draw on them,the stand has no cover basically im hunting on the side of a small mountain,the deer come from staight up the hill walk straight down to me should i set the climber faceing them or on the opiste side of the tree,the biggest buck ive ever seen was 35 yds and i couldnt draw i had no cover and he was broadside but head was facing me please tell me how to put this buck on the ground
Old 10-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

rough...are they walkin by your tree? if so sounds like ya kno what needs to be done by movin it around.
if not, well, get some cover fer up there, weather its just hangin sum camo or gettin on the ground..dress like a mountain and you'll be good on the ground, if they are comin down the hill to ya then that says to me your about the same height as they are on the ground at some point anywaz..scent control of course..
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Spike

i climb aprrox 25 ft ,i always shower and spray down,the deer walk basically straight downhill to me one hung out bought 30 yards broadside but he was always lookin towards me,the other walked right under me i tried to move and i think he heard my seat move a little it was dead quite no wind or anything,i dont know what to do should i set up on the side of the tree to have the deer walking to where im facing or should i set on the other side of the tree and try and stand up when there comin i really dont know what to do,this is the biggest buck ive ever seen the little one looked up but as far as i know this one never knew i was there and neither deer would respond to a grunt
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Spike

Possibly move your stand so you are approx. 20 yards or so off the deer run. If you have no covering trees such as a pine, try setting your stand on the back side of the tree.

Also, you stated you think the deer heard your seat squeak; if so, then try spraying the hinged area with your scent killer (works to temporarily get rid of the squeak until you can fix it in the off season). You can also try leaving your seat up and stay standing during your hunt, but I know that can get pretty tiring.

Since you have no cover to mask your draw, if you can hear them coming, try drawing ahead of time and holding until they are within range.

Best of luck!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DOE MASTER View Post
the stand has no cover basically im hunting on the side of a small mountain...should i set the climber faceing them or on the opiste side of the tree
This is one way of doing it. I have a stand in a tree on a creek edge. I set it pointing out toward the creek which made it stick out like a sore thumb. I opted to turn it facing the opposite way, this way the tree kind of blocks me. Makes me feel more concealed. Just know that having a tree blocking you in the direction of the deer route cuts down on your available shots. I'm left handed so I can only get a good shot off to the left side of the tree. Just think about it a little bit, but its deffinetly an option.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Spike

Is this the best available spot to put your tree stand? Is there a more concealed area further up or down the trail? As someone else said, getting off the trail about 20 yards will help a lot. Try to find a tree that has some back cover, a pine or spruce behind it, so you aren't silhouetted.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want your stand facing away from the deer if they are walking straight at you with little or no cover, make the tree your in your cover.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

just draw slowly and shoot....don't see the problem...wait until he is not looking in your direct direction...draw...hold pin on heart/lung and shoot......it aint rocket science