Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Heartbreaker in the PA. woods >

Heartbreaker in the PA. woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heartbreaker in the PA. woods

Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy Heartbreaker in the PA. woods

Well guys, the bucks are starting to move here in Pa. Had a heartbreaker yesterday while hunting. Had just gotten into the stand and sat for about 20 mins. I got the horns out and put a rattling sequence out followed by a few grunts. 5 mins later I heard what I thought was a footstep behind me, I slowly turned around and there stood a 120-130 class buck. Nice wide rack, great mass. He started feeding towards my lane and I got the bow up and ready with the release on, it was go time. He slowly fed towards the opening and was about 3 yds away. He kept feeding forward and I drew my GT500 back when his head went behind a tree. His head then entered the lane, followed by his neck. I am thinking here we go, anchored, looking through peep, aimed at the opening waiting to see the shoulder, when BAM he stops and looks right up at me ( their instincts are incredible) with his vitals covered by the tree. So now I am at full draw and being stared at by a very nice buck. He knew something was off and scampered about 3 yds, into some brush, no shot. He then turns and starts walking back in again but stops short, He couldn't quite figure out what was going on, then he turned and walked away. What a let down, but that is bowhunting. One step away from a really nice Pa. Buck. Good thing is he didn't run off as if spooked, just slowly walked off into the brush, hopefully will get a crack at him next week. Wish me luck guys, he is a dandy.

Shane
Old 10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta love bow hunting! He will be back, just be patient!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks man, have been there numerous times..it sucks..Good luck with him

-NICK
Old 10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put your time in on stand and you WILL see that buck again. He's got but one thing on his mind and he'll let his guard down at some point. He sounds like a real good one too! Good luck to you.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say switch trees to one right in the immediate vicinity. He'll be back! A 125-130 is a giant pa buck!! Go get him and let's see if he's a 125 or 130!!

Ryan.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

had a simalar thing happen early in the season. Only i chose not to take a spine shot on a nice 8. Havent seen him again since and still second guessing. I know i did the right thing but really stinks. HOPE YOU GET ANOTHER CRACK AT HIM. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Shane,
That's bowhunting and that's what keeps us going back for more. Sorry to hear that you couldn't connect. That would have been a real nice PA buck and some nice points for the team. I would definitely move the stand with some good back drop so he don't pick you off. Good luck it will pay off.
Scott
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have another stand set up about 70 yds from this one. I am going to give that a shot next and see how that pans out, if needs be I will spray down and sneak in there at night to switch it up. I am hoping he remains in the area. Keepin my fingers crossed. I know he didn't smell me as he was upwind from my stand, he just knew something was amiss. They dont get that big in Pa. without being one of the smart one lol.

Shane
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sr77
Well guys, the bucks are starting to move here in Pa. Had a heartbreaker yesterday while hunting. Had just gotten into the stand and sat for about 20 mins. I got the horns out and put a rattling sequence out followed by a few grunts. 5 mins later I heard what I thought was a footstep behind me, I slowly turned around and there stood a 120-130 class buck. Nice wide rack, great mass. He started feeding towards my lane and I got the bow up and ready with the release on, it was go time. He slowly fed towards the opening and was about 3 yds away. He kept feeding forward and I drew my GT500 back when his head went behind a tree. His head then entered the lane, followed by his neck. I am thinking here we go, anchored, looking through peep, aimed at the opening waiting to see the shoulder, when BAM he stops and looks right up at me ( their instincts are incredible) with his vitals covered by the tree. So now I am at full draw and being stared at by a very nice buck. He knew something was off and scampered about 3 yds, into some brush, no shot. He then turns and starts walking back in again but stops short, He couldn't quite figure out what was going on, then he turned and walked away. What a let down, but that is bowhunting. One step away from a really nice Pa. Buck. Good thing is he didn't run off as if spooked, just slowly walked off into the brush, hopefully will get a crack at him next week. Wish me luck guys, he is a dandy.

Shane

Ha. Reminds me of what happened to me a few weeks ago.

I am a rifle hunter, only getting into archery to extend my season. Well, the first, last, and only time I have drawn on a deer was a few weeks ago.

This doe is walking toward me. This is probably the second time ever that a deer has been within 25 yards of me while I was hunting, so I am really excited. I draw the bow back, and the doe stops with vitals behind a tree.

Not to be arrogant, but I am a pretty strong guy. I can do about 20 or so pull ups, bench press my weight about 20 times, etc. So I am thinking that I can hold this bow back forever. As long as it takes! I swear this was like having a blinking contest with a snake; this doe did not take another step for at least 5 minutes (or that is what if felt like). Finally my arms started shaking, and I realized that I couldn't make an ethical shot any more even if she did step out. So I just fired into the dirt and she ran off.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Shane - it comes down to a matter of a step or two! Sorry to hear he did not take that last one, but it was an exciting hunt, and I am sure that will keep you amped till the next encounter.

Best of luck - hope to see some pic's of him soon!

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.