Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

decoys?????

Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default decoys?????

i am thinking of buying the primos scarface decoy tommorow and wanted some opinions. I think if i had one last year i would have had a better shot at getting a nice 6 to commit to me but the bleats and scent drag i had made earlier didnt even make him blink. soo do you use a decoy? would you recommend someone else to buy one and use it? ive been reading articles and such online and the people who have em seem to have luck with them. ive heard they can be hot and cold which i am fine with i just dont want to chase any deer to the next county. thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

There will be deer you scare away. Deer react differently and if you have done your reading I am sure you know that. I have decoyed in does which usually scare much easier than bucks when it comes to a decoy. Biggest tip is HUMAN SCENT! If there is any say good bye to any deer that comes in. Make the necassary precautions and take the time to have zero human scent on the decoy. Yes decoys can work but they will not work everytime. Good luck don't be afraid to try it. I don't use one everytime but it made the difference for me last year.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

not many people use decoys do they????
Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Im also in the same boat as you forddeerslayer... I want to get a decoy, but am not sure If it will work to well or scare away a lot of deer. I dont think I would buy a buck decoy though, I think I would get a doe because I would also want does besides the bucks to come into it and not be scared of it.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

i hear ya. i think i am gunna get the scarface tho. i was just looking for some first hand blue collar experience. you can pull the horns out to make it appear like a doe. good luck no matter what you decide.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Be advised....It depends on the time of year as to any decoy. Forstly, the Scarface is a rather large deer, meaning if your in search of an 8 point, you may not want to take the chance of ol scarry turning him out. Dominance prevails and there will likely be no challenge from less dominant bucks. During rut you may want to go with a doe or a antler removable buck, positioned with tail towards you, this will hae the bucks approach from the rear, giving you a shot.

I have done alot of reserch, and asked alot of questions; some on this forum, and the feedback comes back to the same answer, KILL.

good luck and happy hunting.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Spike

Dude, we have had some amazing luck with decoys!!! I just busted a doe last week that came into the decoy. She was running across the field, I grunted, and she came straight in toward the decoy. I busted her at 20 yds. Had I not been using it she would have moved right out of the field. Last year I missed the biggest buck I've ever seen in my life...I'd say 170-180 class 12 pt. It came right in to the decoy. I was in a ground blind behind a fence corner with an 8 pt decoy at 20 yds in the field. The buck came out of the woods and walked straight up to the decoy and squared up with it nose to nose. I let my arrow fly and my arrow scraped the top of the fence and flew right over his back. So I got to watch him run off and out of my life forever. The day before that I had a shooter 8 pt moving in toward it but I wasn't paying attention and he caught my movement in the blind before I saw him. Otherwise I am 100% confident he would have walked right up to it. The best time to use them is the rut obviously. It will scare off some smaller bucks and some does but the mature bucks that are protecting their area will be PISSED its there. We have shot 2 nice 8 pts, and a 10 pt that came into the decoy. Try it out. I personally have never seen it scare a nice buck off. You will really enjoy watching how deer respond to it. Regardles if they come in or not it definitely sparks their curiosity. And sometimes their curiosity gets them into trouble. We will usually do some rattling. When the bucks come in to find the fight they see they decoy and feel it's safer to enter the field. Also as far as scent goes, I just spray it down with scent spray when I put it out then pour a little extrus urine on the ground near it. When another buck smells doe estrus near another buck it doesn't make him happy. One of the best hunting gimmics I've ever used by far. Take a camera too because the deer you don't want to shoot will put on a pretty good show trying to get it to move.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Spike

Like some other people said on here, buy a smaller buck decoy that has removable antlers. The doe I shot came in to it with it's antlers on so don't be too worried about scaring them off. There will be deer that won't come in but don't just scrap it right away. Give it an honest try. I have a video last year of a mother and 2 yearlings trying to get my decoy to move. The yearlings kept jumping and stomping at it and giving off pathetic little grunts for about 5 minutes. They were all within 3 feet of the decoy. Then they just walked off un-spooked. If you can hunt a field edge that has good deer movement it will pay off in the long run. The majority of deer in a field stay too far away for a shot anyhow but a decoy increases your odds of them coming within bow range guaranteed.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Spike

I know I keep posting on this thread but we have some great stories with decoys. Another time my buddy and I were carrying a buck and doe decoy to our stands. A doe and a GIANT buck dogging her came running across the opposite side of the field. They got half way across the field then finally saw us, stopped, and just stood there trying to figure out what the hell they were seeing. My buddy and I held the decoys out in front of us and started walking toward them and giving off grunts every once in a while. We probably walked 40-50 yds and got within 50 yds of them before they become nervous. They could tell what they were seeing wasn't right but the decoys kept their curiosity long enough for us to cut our distance in half. They never did run off spooked, they just trotted out of the field.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

THANK YOU. thank you for sharing your stories. i am getting the scarface decoy and the antlers are removable so ill prolly use him as a doe this sat in the above average temp and showers...ya it might suck lol. but thanks again for sharing your experiences with me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.