Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage head and practice head.. SAME? >

Rage head and practice head.. SAME?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage head and practice head.. SAME?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rage head and practice head.. SAME?

OK... I'm shooting SOLID out to 30 yrds and Good to 40.. I'm using the PRactice TIP.. Do I need to also shoot my actually broadhead? OR are they gonna fly the same? I've always shot THunderhead 100's Which are also shooting GOOD. I carry both Rage and Thunderhead in my quiver.. Maybe I should try an actually Broadhead into the target and see what happens, but when you spend 40 bones on 3, it just seems like a waste, i'll be down to two, plus a duller one!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Spike

I would, just harpen it afterward. I was never impressed with the flight of rages when I shot them. I was confident when shooting the practice head but I never felt confident with the actual broadhead at longer distances (30+ yd). That's why I'm back to my tried and true G5s.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Grim Reapers and there is absolutely no need to practice with them. There's not a significant closed profile difference in the Rage and the Grim Reaper. My bow is tuned and I practice with field tips. When it's time to hunt, I screw on the Reapers and check them on a spinner to make sure there is no wobble at all and then go hunting. If I shot Rage broadheads, I would do the same thing.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

They fly the same as the hunting head, I've only shot a deer out to roughly 30 yards with the hunting head but there was no change.. The practice head has been dead on out to 40 or so for me as well, but I conditioning myself with 15-30 yard shots no matter the head I have on my bow.. I just don't believe in shoting much futher then 30 yards and I see no need at this point.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

wrap the blades with some electrical tape. You can practice with them all you want, and the blades wont open or dull.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JoshKeller
wrap the blades with some electrical tape. You can practice with them all you want, and the blades wont open or dull.
Thats a good idea, but does it hurt the weight/flight of the head and arrow???