Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blew it

Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike

Default Blew it

I just had the dream hunt.

Got in my stand at 4. ya i know its late but i had classes till then. So at 5:30 about 6 does come into the bean field im sitting on. Then out of nowhere there he is the giant 9 pointer standing there like something out of dreams at about 70 yards. As he starts to head the other way i give a few soft grunts and like if i snapped a light switch he turned and headed directly at me. He stops to hit one of the many scrapes that are in front of me at about 36 yards then continues in my direction.Then a doe comes out into the field to my left and he starts to wallk her way and i thought this is it so i drew back guessed it about 27 yards so i put the thirty yard pin right in his armpit and let it fly. The flight path looked perfect until the last foot it dropped and hit right where my 30 yard pin had been. turns out i ranged him and he was 33 yards. I see a puff of hair and he runs about 80 yards and stops and feeds up and other the next ridge completely unharmed except his new haircut. he was the buck of my dreams probably would go 145+. I have been dry heaving and beating my self up all night. you guys think he will stay in the area? i mean he only fed off. thanks for listenin
Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oooouucch! Them always hurt!

Nothing you can do now, it doesn't sound like you spooked the buck to bad if he simply fed off. Chances are he is going to stay around. He may not walk within easy range of that exact stand again but don't give up... he'll be around. Good luck
Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

if he is chasing doe he dont give a crap what you throw at him.. all he is after is that doe-butt.. either way.. he will eventually forget your attempt at his life and be content on gettin'some if he comes back to your spot..it will be on the trail of a hot doe..

bucks are just like us buddy.. only care about two things.. girls and chow
Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

dude...i think you are good, he is worried about scrapes and does...he won't care...stay on it...don't beat yourself up...i missed one of the best bucks of my life after stepping the distance off to about 34 yards...not 28 like i thought...live and learn
Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

He'll be back
Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE!! Hang in there and keep after him- It could be alot worse. You couldve wounded him and not found him, then every minute be wondering if hes still alive. At least you know hes ok and you still have a chance.