Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
anybody hunt strictly from the ground? >

anybody hunt strictly from the ground?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anybody hunt strictly from the ground?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Spike

Default anybody hunt strictly from the ground?

This year I've decided that I am either going to take a whitetail with my recurve or a muley with my bow. Being in a state that offers both I feel extremely fortunate even though the muleys are on the other side of the state. At first it was really tough to switch back to the recurve after shooting the compound but now Im dead confident in all my gear. I love it, and I was just wandering what everybody does to get prepared for all the situations they may face througout the season. A couple weeks ago with this cold snap I was able to get up on several decent bucks, (within compound range lol) on the ground but how do you guys go about it? Anybody strictly traditional as well?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

good camo..stay down wind and move very slowly!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Spike

About all I do is spot and stalk. The biggest advantage you can have is by glassing and finding the deer and making sure you have a good chance at a successfull stalk without him ever knowing your around. So if you can find some good glassing spots without stomping all over the area is the key. If they cut your tracks and smell where you walked, day or night, a older buck will become ALOT harder to find. DONT TRY A STALK IF YOU EVEN HAVE A 50% CHANCE OF GETTING BUSTED!!! That is of course you have plenty of others times to hunt him. Keep wind checker powder in your pockets at all times, wear a light face mask, wear thick socks and take off your boots when your getting close to the deer when stalking. OOOH yeh, PRAY the wind dont swirl!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

i sit in ditches when corn is still up and see GOBS of deer....just stay down, wind in your face and hold still....o yeah bring a grunt call it brings them right it!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muleys--walk along creek bottoms nice and slow, or spot and stalk. Wtails. Build natural blinds in trees along trails. Several, so you can pick and choose for the wind. That's just what I've done to get close.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Spike

Thanks guys, idk if any of you are familiar with what the country is like out in southwest kansas but its abolutely flat with nothing but feed and crp for cover. I cant wait to go out and attempt to shoot a muley last year I was able to put in 16 hard days of hunting and seen a few record book bucks but man they were elusive, more so than the open country whitetail and seemed a heck of alot smarter as well.