Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What Would You Do? >

What Would You Do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Would You Do?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default What Would You Do?

Ok so my life revolves around 3 things My Wife, My Harley, and Bow Hunting (importance changes depending on the season). My d!ck head brother in-law (sisters husband) lives to chase bears with dogs. I have suspected that he has been training his dogs wile bow season has been in. Until today I had no proof, I was out checking deer cams today and found one of his dogs completely outfitted with its tracking collar. I am of the opinion that a couple of guys running around in the woods chasing a half a dozen dogs in the dark is going to affect deer movement especially mature bucks. So when I returned his dog this evening I ask him to please not run his dogs until Bear season officially opens in December. Am I being unreasonable? Below is one of 3 shooter bucks I have been hunting.
Attached Thumbnails What Would You Do?-sunp0216.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends whose land it is. If it is yours, or your lease or something, then no you are perfectly in the right to ask him that.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Training dogs is just like target shooting your bow. It has to be done and can't be done during the season if you expect to accomplish anything or try and keep your dogs on track all year long. Also alot of people believe running dogs at night can increase chances of seeing those nocturnal bucks. It gets them all off their patterns and makes em travel at different hours. I've always wondered about it too but we run alot of my buddies coon dogs here and we run em where I hunt sometimes where he hunts, and on other farms that kill good bucks every year and it hasn't hurt my success during the season the last two years. You both are trying to do what you love doing which makes it complicated so the best suggestion I can give is ask him nicely if you guys can make some sort of an agreeable plan he could run his dogs not very often or maybe find out when you arent going to be in the woods a couple days. Really though I think youll be fine hunting your bucks either way. Good luck. WCL
Old 10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

what was his response?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice signature, haha. Ever wonder what a lb of duck meat costs??, haha. WCL
Old 10-26-2009, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

The land belongs to me and my sisters (1 is his wife). His responce was "don't worry about it". His family has land also that he could be running his dogs on. Maybe I am makeing to mich of this, but it just upsets me when I finish checking cams and get back to my parking spot only to find a bear dog hanging out wateing on a ride back to town.