Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
deer scents/lure question? >

deer scents/lure question?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer scents/lure question?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:29 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Default deer scents/lure question?

how well do they work?...who uses them?..and what are the best ones to use.... also what are the best ways to apply them?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive tinkered with scents off and on for the past 4 seasons...

tried curiosity type scents in the early season and then doe estrous scents in the later part of the season...

my current state of mind is using nothing but FRESH doe estrous from doe farms right here in PA...and dont touch the stuff till Halloween and later...

my method of using the scent is apply it on a drag...i make sure im as scent free as possible..and when using the drag i go out of my way to ensure that even more...i then carry the drag out away from me so it is on a different trail as i am walking...just so the deer arent smelling my scent and the doe scent..just my thing..

i carry the drag 100-300yds to my stand depening on the stand...then i drag it around my stand from my tree out to 50yds or so..usually a figure 8 type pattern with my tree being the center..nothing scientific..just like to drag it around where i can do so quietly and hopefully get the buck to come into shooting range and give me an open shot..

after 100yds or so i'll give the drag another squirt or 2...you dont want TONS of scent but need enough so there IS scent..does dont walk around squirting gallons of scent everywhere...

once im done with the drag i hang it in a tree 20yds from my tree in an open lane...then usually hang a scent wick or 2 or 3 20yds from my tree and squirt them a few times as well...

the buck i killed this year came into a new scent i picked up...i need to do some research and see what is in it as he was all over the stuff...literrally licking it off the ground....amazing to watch...

but ive had a couple bucks last season completely hound dog my scent drags and run right to me...very cool to watch...that was all with FRESH doe estrous from a local deer farm...

with the estrous ive noticed does seem to avoid the stuff...i dont mind..im not doe hunting...and if a buck is chasing a doe by, i still bet shes gunna come by...and hes likely to hit my scent and slow down...

other than my drag, i do not leave any on the ground or branches...i only want my scent out when i am in that tree...just my thing...

i havent had ANY success with store bought mass produced stuff..AT ALL...even when deer came in and were near the scent, there was no reaction what so ever...

the past 2 seasons i have had success with my method...enough to keep me doing it...and nothing negative at all that i have seen...

is it fool proof? no. will it draw every deer in for miles around? no...

can it help you bag a buck?? YEP! i just did thursday because of the scent. without it i may not got the shot at all...