Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I screwed up big I think >

I screwed up big I think

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I screwed up big I think

Old 10-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I screwed up big I think

Crap ai mess up bad. Well i made a stupid mistake.
Last week i got a shot on a doe. IT was a quick shot and i made the mistake of aiming my 30 pin on her heart when she was at 26 yards. But i do not think that is the issue. I went to the tracer nocks. I did some checking and everything i read said it would not make a diff. Well i did not like the little magnet hitting my vane. So i ate the 20 bucks and went to the luminocks. My arrow has a little red metal cap behind the nock (carbon express maxima hunters) if you need to know. Well it seemed the metal liked to turn the nock on all the time. SO i removed it thinking no big deal. I made a stupid mistake of not checking to see if it changed any thing. But i am begining to wonder if it did not lighten my arrow up any.
Do you think it did or could the extra weight of the luminock make up for it?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bulldog collars (your little red metal thingys) weight about 2 grains. At 26 yards, absolutely no difference.

What may well have changed is that TCX nocks that come in Carbon Express arrows are a bit more narrow than the Super Nocks that replace them when using a light up nock. That can cause nock pinch depending on exactly how tight a tolerence your nock sets are... but it will (more so) effect your nock height... even if its just 1/32"... THAT can make a difference.

FWIW.... using your 30 yard pin at 26 yards is probably a bigger issue than you might think.... PROBABLY.... not for sure... so what happened anyway?

And finally... I think your only real mistake here was changing your equipment mid-way through the season. Even more so... not retuning and rechacking it after changing.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know i should have checked it. If by what happen you mean with the deer.
Two came in down the field i am on. I stood before they came into full sight and my pants fell. The ran up a trail to my left when i started sitting down. They where still in sight so i came to draw and my string was sitting on my stand bar so i moved alittle. One of them ran off and i got on the otherone and did not adjust for the 26 so i had my 30 yard pin on her heart. Opps i shot over her. Not by much either as the arrow was just up from where she was.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Spike

You know I had the same exact problem with mine also. I have the same exact arrows as yours too. The problem with mine where that the lumenock was not fitting in tight enough because of the red ring, so I took it off and it made the nock tighter without the ring and it shoots just fine, its much tighter and it flys the same without the red ring.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Spike

So, as soon as your pants came down the ladies took off running? Happens to me all the time. Lol.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh brother.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
And finally... I think your only real mistake here was changing your equipment mid-way through the season. Even more so... not retuning and rechacking it after changing.
Exactly Swampcollie. Tim, Tim, Tim, you should know better then that.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your pants fell????????? How did that happen?????????????? LMAO. Never heard that one before. As far as over shooting, you were aiming at the heart and at 26 yrds you held your 30 yrd pin on her and overshot. I think the deer ducked the arrow. Aiming at the heart at 26 yrds and holding the 30 yrd pin I wouldn't think you would shoot over unless she ducked the arrow. JMO.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

Anytime you change something on your set up you should verify it is still working/shooting the same. I would say lesson learned for you and move on.

Dave