Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
do's and don'ts when starting a young kid hunting. >

do's and don'ts when starting a young kid hunting.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do's and don'ts when starting a young kid hunting.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rh160kid
Make your hunts with him be about him!!! Let him be the hunter and you be the helper-at least at first. You will be surprised the little details he will pick up just from watching you-such as your scent control methods. He will want to copy what you do. Do not overwhelm him with dos and donts at first either. Stress safety first and everything else after.
I completely agree you have to make it about him. If you really want him to catch the fever then you have to put your hunting on the semi back burner. Good news is that due to school and such he probably shouldn't be hunting all the time like you can so you can still find time for your hunts. As was said safety first everything else will come.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

One thing I did remember to add is make sure he is comfortable. Even at 13 he won't be able to sit still forever and if he's uncomfortable he'll move more. Ground blind or box blind are the best places to start as you can get away with the movement.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

My plan is a pop up. i think it will be the best thing to use. Mainly as it is public land so no stick built box blind
Originally Posted by WhitBri
One thing I did remember to add is make sure he is comfortable. Even at 13 he won't be able to sit still forever and if he's uncomfortable he'll move more. Ground blind or box blind are the best places to start as you can get away with the movement.