Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
He is still alive!!...... after goofed up archery shot >

He is still alive!!...... after goofed up archery shot

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

He is still alive!!...... after goofed up archery shot

Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Spike

Default He is still alive!!...... after goofed up archery shot

Well if some of you remeber I was excited to have this huge buck on my property this year and previously posted about him. Our bow season here in Oklahoma starts Oct 1st through Jan 15th. I shot my doe Oct 3rd with the new rage broadheads and she only went 40 yds before being DRT(dead right there). I changed after using muzzys for several years and the rage worked as advertised on the doe. On Oct 4th I was back out in the treestand looking for this big boy. I was expecting the deer to come in from one way and concentrating hard on that area. About 15 min before dark a happen to glance over my right shoudler and see this buck walking behind my treeestand where I didnt expect him to come from. It was deep in the woods and I had ranged all the trees. I drew my bow back and stopped him with a soft grunt. I thought in my mind he was 30 yards so I released an arrow. The shot went high on his back and he darted off quickly. After waiting about 30 minutes I got down and checked my arrow. The arrow only had about 6 to 7 inches of blood on it and the 2 blade rage was broke off with the o ring and insert still screwed in. I knew it was a bad shot so I imediately walked straight out of the woods. I waited till the next morning approx 12 hours till I went back. I picked up a quick blood trail and it was easy to track. I tracked it approx 800 to 900 yards before it dried up. I considered still alive but had it in the back of my mind he was dead somewhere. I looked for buzzards and crows for the next week and never saw any. After watching this buck all summer it was like losing a family member. LOL I was ready to sell all my hunting stuff and quit. After realizing this was stupid I got back out there and I am at it again. After checking my cameras Friday I was very shocked to see this buck back eating corn again! You can see where the messed up shot hit high on his back. I was 20 ft up and after ranging it again was only 24 yds. He showed back up on camera under the same tree I shot him in approx 15 days later. I have got approx 250 pictures of him since Aug on several different cameras.

Please tell me what you think. I am not blaming any broadhead or mechanical error just got excited and to quick of a shot. Thanks for the replies in advance.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

He looks to healthy to me.... I hope you get another shot at him
Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not following what happened to the head, can you post up a pic???
Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice deer . looks like you might have got it just over the spine. looks like he is recovering well.good luck finding him again and getting that kill shot
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Spike

That buck is a stud! Back in 03 I put the exact same hit on a 130 inch 8. A little less than a week later I ended up killing that buck from a different stand( rut was on). I hope you have the same luck!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Spike

I did the same thing to a buck last year on Oct 28th. My arrow went right through his backstraps and I had a bloodtrail that carried on for quite a while. About 2 1/2 weeks later I saw him from stand and got video of him and his wound looked just about the same as your buck. Looked healthy to me, just as this one does. Goodluck
Old 10-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad to see i am not the only one who did something very similer. Glad he is ok for now atleast. I still wonder if the young doe i wounded is alive. I will till i see her.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

well ya better get him this year cause chances are the trama will reduce his antler size next year!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, is all I can say! I would have been sick after missing that bad boy. He's a hoss of a buck. Great pics by the way. Good luck getting a second chance at him.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck at getting another chance at him.. Hopefully it was just a nick oh him and the blades broke off when the arrow hit the ground.. I hope you get him if he allows another chance..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.