Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why target -vs- live animal??? >

Why target -vs- live animal???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why target -vs- live animal???

Old 10-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why target -vs- live animal???

Why is it I shoot targets and I am an average shot but when an animal presents itself I am dead on? Any one else like this or the opposite?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by twildasin
Why is it I shoot targets and I am an average shot but when an animal presents itself I am dead on? Any one else like this or the opposite?
i have somewhat of the same problem. it is all about focus. some people react differently when adrenalin is pumping.

i also shoot better shots at 60 and 70 yards than 30 and 40.

i also shoot best when using the smallest diamater pins you can buy (if that helps you too).
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

two thoughts:

- concentration! It matters, but can be hard to concentrate on targets, this is why spot shooting is hard, same shot over and over and over and over and over, one brain cramp, you drop points, out of the top spots!

- define dead on. By this I mean if you are target shooting, what are you shooting at? A 1 inch spot? then with a deer, what are you shooting at? It's an 8inch or so area, anywhere in there works, so maybe the 1 inch spot vs a dead deer, isn't the same measuring stick.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
two thoughts:

- concentration! It matters, but can be hard to concentrate on targets, this is why spot shooting is hard, same shot over and over and over and over and over, one brain cramp, you drop points, out of the top spots!

- define dead on. By this I mean if you are target shooting, what are you shooting at? A 1 inch spot? then with a deer, what are you shooting at? It's an 8inch or so area, anywhere in there works, so maybe the 1 inch spot vs a dead deer, isn't the same measuring stick.
X2 Those little X's at 20 yards scare me waaay more than a deer at 30 lol...

SOme people are in the zone when they are hunting. Especially if you have confidence in yourself. Its almost like it all happens subconciously... Adrenaline does some crazy stuff...
Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am the same way. I believe it is because when we are shooting targets you are in your head. Target panic has the opportunity to get in our head and mess with us. When we are shooting at a deer, we are using our instincts and not our head and target panic really does not have the opportunity to get in a mess with us.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with the size of the target factor.

When shooting at a live animal like a deer, anywhere in the 8" kill zone and you have a successful recovery. Beyond that most don't judge that their shot was 1" back and 1" too high from where they were aiming. Animal on the ground....good nuff.

Now switch to a stationary target with a defined bullseye and you now have the ability to clearly see that your arrow is 1" back and 1" too high.

Concentration certainly has something to do with it, but I would think that this is more than offset by the huge shot of adrenaline that is pumped into your system when you are drawing on a live animal.

Just my $0.02