Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Finally had enough! >

Finally had enough!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally had enough!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
First, for those that have mentioned sending this guy a bill or filing a lawsuite, it will not fly. You and the old man made a verbal contract, your labor for hunting rights. He is not telling you that you cannot hunt, he is just doing some stuff on HIS property that may have a negative impact on the hunting. It will never fly in court.

Second, as for the sign, IMHO, it really does not matter much. If you think it will make you feel better to take it back or burn, go for it. Myself, I don't think I would even mess with it.

Third, should you hunt there this year? If it is your only option, you bet your ass you should hunt there. However, I would not lift a finger to help this old man out again. Hunt your stands, take your deer and find some new ground for next year. You mentioned that you already have some new ground lined up, so I would think it would be best just to move on and chalk this one up as a loss. I do not believe you can win this battle, so why spend the time.

I know how bad this must suck, sorry to hear about it.
Perfectly put KB.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh the heck with it. Just kick his a$$ and sleep good at night again.

Ryan.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jepcho
The best thing you can do is go get all your stands, leave his property and never talk to the old man again.
Yep, somethings aren't worth the fight. I had something similar this year. I leased 400 acres from the lady for $1200 ($300 each for 4 hunters). It was in her name and had been in her family for decades. Well, took the tractor down there with the mower and front end loader b/c it was mostly grown up except the back part which she hasn't seen in 10 years. Did 12 hours of work, paid for the repairs of breaking my mower twice, took a branch to the face and broke a bone by the corner of my eye. But, it hadn't been hunted in probably 10 years and there were great signs of deer and hogs.

I noticed that the back side of the property had a fence down and the farmer south of her was riding on her property. I informed her and she said to close the fence and put up a no trespassing sign, which I did. The following day the farmer stopped by her house and said we couldn't stop him from using it b/c he was part owner.

Well, the farmer was white and this lady was black, thus I doubted he was "in the family." I went to the court house to get the info from the deed and WHAT DO YOU KNOW, he owns 1.56% undivided interest. Furthermore, there were 84 people on the deed with undivided interest. The clerk at the court house informed me that b/c it was "undivided interest" that any one could use any or all of the land.

Well, the lady apparently didn't know about this when I informed her. The farmer said that we could still hunt there b/c we had a written contract with the lady, BUT he said he enjoyed riding his tractor and atv each and every morning and evening right at daylight and right before dark.

Well, I knew what he was saying and based on information I heard that he would pull a gun on anyone, I decided to cut my losses and leave. The lady is in the process of getting me my money back.

It actually worked out as I found a lease about the same distance from home that is 3000 acres and has been managed for 10 years. Unfortunately, I pulled my bow back on a nice 8 pointer (~4 yrs old) and he jumped me when my leaning stand made a sound. UGH!!!

Anyway, sometimes it is best to just walk away and be the better person. Hope things work out better for you.