Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Has this ever happened to you? >

Has this ever happened to you?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Has this ever happened to you?

So i was hunting 2 evenings ago and it was very windy. I was in my climber. I all of a sudden heard a loud crack and next thing i know i look up and see a huge limb break out of the tree. It whiffed by me almost taking me and my stand out. Scariest thing ive eve had happen to me. Has this ever happened to anyone? or has anyone ever heard stories of people getting hit by falling limb?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know I was going to ask the same thing the other day. I was up in a stand the other day and had a limb snap and almost take me out as well. I was wondering how many people have been in a tree on a windy and had one snap below your stand...what the heck would one do in a situation like that?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

We aint supposed to be in dead trees.

Thanks for the heads up, literaly. I can see it happening to me.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Spike

you dont have a choice..yoou hold on and pray...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Last Saturday I was sitting in my stand and a tree about 10 yards away suddenly went "pop". A limb about 30 or so feet up just snapped and came crashing down. I nearly pooped myself as I was looking in the opposite direction. Had 3 or 4 squirrels running around a few yards from me and they just went off barking. 30 seconds later the woods went silent and they returned to gathering acorns.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

3 yrs ago I'm sitting in my stand and a dead tree about 30yds away decides it's time for it to take the dirt nap. I remember how loud it was, as it took out limbs from adjacent trees during its' fall. When the top hit ground...it was about 10yds from my tree.

I still look around at adjacent trees when I set up, now. Dead tree real close? I'll move.

I saw a guy in a wheelchair hunting on TV that fall. That's how he got into the wheechair.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Those dead limbs are called "widow makers".

I always make it a habit to look for them before setting up a new stand.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had it happen 2 years ago..i was in a set on this farm lane and about 40 yards away a REALLY BIG oak tree fell and took out 2 other trees..except the oak tree lookd healthy it really wasnt it was rotted out on the inside and man talk about startle you man..it happens so quick..
Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Thats some freaky stuff. I think I am more amazed at how many people have had that happen to them.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard it happen while in my ground blind. Heard the tree begin to fall. Heard it taking out other trees. Heard all the cracking and popping that goes with it. Then i finally heard and felt the big BOOM when it hit the ground.

3 Foot diameter healthy tree gave way on a steep hillside due to heavy rains. It fell no more than 30 yards from my blind. That was about as scared as i have ever been. The cracking and popping seemed to go on for an eternity and i was just waiting to be crushed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.