Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Game warden/dnr for a career. Need help Wardens. >

Game warden/dnr for a career. Need help Wardens.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game warden/dnr for a career. Need help Wardens.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Spike

Default Game warden/dnr for a career. Need help Wardens.

Okay I love the outdoors. I breathe and live for the outdoors. I love it all. I was wondering, if there are any game wardens on here that can help me on what I need in order to be one. I'm 19 years old currently in a criminal justice program but I know it's not natural resources. I'm sure there are some criminal justice classes that need to be taken. What I want to know is it a four year degree? I live in WI, but if I cant get hired here, I'm looking at OH or somewhere that will hire. What are my chances are even getting hired? thanks guys!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I know a retired game warden. I know you love the outdoors. I had asked him this question" So being a game warden I bet you get to hunt the best places? His responce was not what I expected, He said during the Hunting Season was the busy time of the year and he did not get to hunt! But now that he is retired he has been able to pick his places from former people who he had helped. Just food for thought.

CVG Ohio
Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its actually a 2 year associates degree. If youre already enrolled in a Criminal Justice course you probably already took some of the pre reqs. I beleive you may have to take Police Science as well. I beleive the Police and DNR take the same courses. When I was in Police Science back in 2000 we had several that were there to be Game Wardens in Wi. I think all you need is a 2 year Associates Degree in the field of Police Science. I may be wrong and the best way to get an answer is to contact the main office at your school or contact the DNR personally to see what the requirements are. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here, check out this school. I went here for two years, great program. www.vcc.edu
It's under the wildlife/wildland law encforcement.
I know there are actually only a few states that will accept a 2 year degree. That doesn't mean you cant find work for the park service or forest service though.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have any questions at all feel free to ask me, I was in that program, but found it wasn't for me, plus I didn't want to wait to become a CO. it is a VERY hard profession to get into, and like I said, most states require a 4 year degree. Please feel free to ask me as many questions as you like!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well since you are already in WI you are near argueably the best natural resources college in the country, UW-Stevens Point. They have a strongly developing criminal justic program that goes with the natural resource majors. I don't know all the details so I'm not sure on the language of it. I am currently in my 4th year at UW-SP in wildlife managment. Give Dr. Holsman a call or email and I'm sure he would be able to help you out with any questions you may have. He runs the criminal justice portion of it mainly and is the leader of SLEA (Student Law Enforcement Association) on camps. Maybe you'll find there is a different major you'd like better in the natural resources relm. I've thought about the warden part but I love hunting to much so didn't do it. I have a few buddies who have gone through the program. Its 1 semester at the tech college next to point to go through the academy and the rest of the GDRs and natural resources parts are done at UW-SP. Good part is that once you complete it you can be a warden, ranger, police officer, ect... so you have options beside the warden part. Here is his link and Point is a very good school. http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/Wildlife/faculty/Holsman/ I probably won't even use my degree but ya never know and I also hate school but Point is an excellent school I have to say. Best part is it brings the best of both worlds together, the hippie tree hugger animal humpers and the hunters . Good luck and let me know if ya have any questions. WCL
Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Something else to consider would be a related field, such as forestry. When I started school, I also considered a career as a CO...until I realized that I would be working the most during the peak of the hunting seasons. This is in addition to the steep competition for those jobs. That's why I chose my current field (forestry) as an alternative. I still get to work outside, but my job doesn't require that I miss much hunting. In fact, I know a few foresters that get a lot of their scouting in while on the job, and make contacts for hunting other people's lands through their line of work.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wing and Up, you guys have excellent posts!! Vermilions degree is set up to transfer to Stevens point. many of my buddies went on to finish up there, great school!! Up, when I first started the WWLE program to become a CO I decided that it wasn't for me as well, and I ended up changing my major to Wilderness Mgmt. I found that I wasn't so much into the Law enforcement part and decided I wanted to do more with the conservation part instead. Now I am finishing up and going to finish my Hydrology dergree!!