Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NW MO Doe

Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default NW MO Doe

Well guys I had a pretty interesting hunt on Saturday evening. Started off by bumping about 7-8 doe while getting to my stand. I don't think they winded me but with it being so quiet in the woods they more than likely heard me. After watching a squirrel chisel away at a bone for 3 hours a doe comes from behind me and passes me before I could get ready. She jumps a fence and is ready to jump another fence to reach the neighbors property until I pull out "The Can" and hit it. I've read many times that "The Can" sounds more like a fawn getting pushed away from his mother more than an estrous doe and that is why bucks might be attracted to the sound. In fact, I've never heard an "estrous" doe bleat. Anyway, I hit the can and the doe turns and looks. She stares down in my direction and after a minute or two would forage and then think about jumping that fence. Everytime she turned away I hit the can. I did this four times and on the fourth time she comes back my direction.

As she is coming back, I look to my right and 5 doe are staring my direction as well. I'm not sure if I called them in too or just coincidence. A button buck presents himself at 25 yards and is staring at the doe coming from my left. As the doe passes by a small shrub I pull back and hold. She makes her way to the button buck and stares him down directly in front of my stand. She is slightly quartering towards me but I pick my spot behind the shoulder and release. Simultaneously as I release the trigger the doe lunges at the button buck. The rage pierces back and the doe runs hunched over into the woods.

I wait 30 minutes and find my arrow covered in a fatty whitish color. I feared the worse and decided to wait her out til morning and drive the 90 minutes back home. I instantly get online to read about other hunters guts shots and their outcomes. Most weren't positive with many saying they never found their deer.

Morning comes and I drive back to the farm and quietly try to pick up the trail. I lucked out and found blood along a well used trail where I saw her head into the brush. After winding around a creek bed and through some thick brush I found my doe approximately 100 yards from my stand. She smelled like hell and the shot was a confirmed gut shot that exited her back leg. The rage broadhead did the job. In my ten years of bowhunting I had never gut shot a deer before. I was extremely proud to have found her. She'll be some excellent sausage. Sorry for the bad pics but I was tired and the temps were in the 70's. Had to hurry to get her cut up.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe man! Good call in leaving her sit overnight it definitely paid off.