Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shooting From Tree Stand >

Shooting From Tree Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting From Tree Stand

Old 10-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Spike

Default Shooting From Tree Stand

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am looking for some help. I just started hunting from a tree stand last year. I have sighted my bow in from about 25 yards on the ground. The problem is when i am in the tree stand i am constantly high when i shoot. I have missed about 4 deer this year and last year, all of them high. Is there a difference when you shoot from a tree stand compared to the ground. I am shooting from about 15ft up in the tree. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

you will naturally hit high from a tree stand...The higher you are the higher your arrow will typically hit...Make sure you are bending at the waist and not just dropping your bow arm.. this will help a bunch!!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on bending at the waist. If you lower your bow arm when you aim it throws your anchor off and you will hit high. You need to draw horizontal to the ground as if you were going to shoot straight at your height of 15' up, but bend at the waist to maintain your form when you shoot at the deer. That should help. If at all possible, try practicing from a tree stand. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I always wonder why people who have issues with this don't simply (if that's how they're gonna be hunting, predominantly) sight in FROM a treestand.

Proper form SHOULD make any sighting anomalies obsolete/non-discernable.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

sight in from a stand.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=RIStrutStopper;3477272]Ditto on bending at the waist. /quote]

I'l third that advice. I read that on here before I'd ever shot from a treestand, so I learned to shoot from stands that way. I've never had to change anything with respect to my sights or where I aim - even shooting from 25 feet high at a deer 6 yards from my tree.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

A face mask can make you lose your anchor and shoot high...Not using a peep or 2 nocks on the string to center your pin can also make you shoot high...As mentioned simply dropping your arm and not bending at the waist can makd you shoot high...

Not tuning your bow to broadheads after shooting field points can also make you shoot high, low or left or right...

Shooting at an alert deer can cause the deer to crouch to sprint off can make you shoot high...(Actually you don't shoot high the deer moves before the arrow gets there)...

As mentioned, get in a tree with your hunting attire and broadheads and try shooting...

Don't ask how I know these things...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
byg
Spike

I was wondering about this myself, I did practice from my stand but I was using my range finder, I just shot at the yardage my finder said(range from treestand to target).But I here people say range a tree or something from stand at the same height does it matter if you range at an angle? does it need to be at the same height? it didnt seem to matter as I was hitting fine..Its a cheepo finder, no arc or fancy stuff. Also I agree about the stand practicing, its a different ball game in a stand versus just shooting @a target. I just started bow hunting and it is tough enough learning from the ground let alone in a tree stand
Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I generally sight in from the ground and aim an inch or two low when in the stand. This will help compensate if the deer drops yet keep you in the kill zone, also remember bend at the waist. dont drop your bow arm.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by byg
I was wondering about this myself, I did practice from my stand but I was using my range finder, I just shot at the yardage my finder said(range from treestand to target).But I here people say range a tree or something from stand at the same height does it matter if you range at an angle? does it need to be at the same height? it didnt seem to matter as I was hitting fine..Its a cheepo finder, no arc or fancy stuff. Also I agree about the stand practicing, its a different ball game in a stand versus just shooting @a target. I just started bow hunting and it is tough enough learning from the ground let alone in a tree stand
For the distances you are talking about and the height of the stand, the difference between horizontal and what the range finder says will be under a yard, so don't worry about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.