Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Doing my part for qdm >

Doing my part for qdm

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doing my part for qdm

Old 10-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Doing my part for qdm

Our southern zone archery opened in New York yesterday. I had planned on taking a couple of hours off in the afternoon to get out. Turns out one of my co-workers had to take the weekend off as he was ill. I couldn't leave till 5:00 pm so it was going to be tight. I made the run to my closest stand if for nothing else than to say I made it out on opening day.

I was in the stand a couple of minutes after 5 and all set up for the evening. I watched two does off in the alfalfa about 100 yards out. 5 minutes later I heard the leaves crunching behind the stand. I looked over my left shoulder and saw two yearlings coming off an oak ridge 60 yards behind me. Looking further behind them I saw the mature doe. The 3 of them made their way towards an opening to my left. The first 2 passed by without seeing me. The third followed behind. Just before she stepped into my lane I came to full draw. She must have seen a bit of movement and halted. I held it there for 15 seconds before she began to move again. 2 steps later she was in the clear and I settled the 20 yard pin on her shoulder. The arrow flew true and she piled up 30 yards later. I came home to get my son and father to help with the quick recovery! Looks like we are eating backstrap tonight!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Job!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shot!
Very cool to involve three generations!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats! Nice sized Doe...Enjoy.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Yum yum, she'll eat well! Nice early season kill!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! Wasn't it raining/snowing there?

Ryan.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Glad someone got to shoot something, WTG!!!! We had rain here all morning, it sucked to say the least. I almost didn't even go out. If I made a bad shot, it would make tracking very difficult. I did get to see a bobcat though. Congrats on your doe, hope you got to enjoyed fresh back straps for dinner.