Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need input...Mathews Monster >

Need input...Mathews Monster

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need input...Mathews Monster

Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

I couldn't agree more. I shot the Monster, the Reezen 6.5 and 7, and the Hyperlite. I wasn't a fan of the Reezen...its felt like it wanted to jump out of my hand when I shot. As for the Monster, it felt the same and was certainly a bear to draw down on. It has such an agressive draw cycle that if you let up even the slightest, it GOES! Couldn't imagine needing to draw down and wait for a better shot. I ended up buying the Hyperlite which is a newer version of the DXT. I shot over 20 bows when my search for a new one began, and I just fell in love with this one. Its very similar to the DXT except the Hyperlite doesn't have the string roller which they eliminated to keep the weight down. If you considering the Reezen or Monster, I too would suggest that you save your money. I also know a guy thats always buying the latest mathews, and he switched back to his DXT. But in the ends it what YOU feel comfortable with...no one can tell you whats best for you to shoot. But we can give you our opinion. IMO...spend your money on some gear...your bow is just fine. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by solocamcan
About like your profile name and signature huh???
Hey I shoot what is comfortable for me and what works for me..
Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

As my Boss would say! Do what you want to do, your going to do it anyway Good Luck in your pick. You can't go wrong either way!

hatchet Jack
Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I would stick with the dxt it's a much smoother bow
Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by diamondrack
Hey I shoot what is comfortable for me and what works for me..
As you should...but don't "slam" people for the same thing your doing, being loyal to a product line. Like I said, up to this point, I was die hard Mathews, I hate the Reezen and the Monster, so they better go back to what they were doing, or I am going to start shooting a.....
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Spike

i for one have a monster. i have had it for a while now. in my opinion it one of the best bows mathews has ever made. i have shot mathews for about 11 years now. they do not have a harsh draw or let down. i have found the guys that are saying that have pretty weak upper body strenght and should turn the bow down a little. i have zero problems drawing and letting down SMOOTHLY! the same guys saying they are harsh probably let down bows like the dxt for instance, pretty fast. again they dont have the strenght to hold back on the string and let it down slow........no matter what bow or brand it is. go shoot it they are sweet shooters in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
As my Boss would say! Do what you want to do, your going to do it anyway Good Luck in your pick. You can't go wrong either way!

hatchet Jack
yep... do what you think you will be the happiest with.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by k.pratt
i for one have a monster. i have had it for a while now. in my opinion it one of the best bows mathews has ever made. i have shot mathews for about 11 years now. they do not have a harsh draw or let down. i have found the guys that are saying that have pretty weak upper body strenght and should turn the bow down a little. i have zero problems drawing and letting down SMOOTHLY! the same guys saying they are harsh probably let down bows like the dxt for instance, pretty fast. again they dont have the strenght to hold back on the string and let it down slow........no matter what bow or brand it is. go shoot it they are sweet shooters in my opinion.
Thats some funny ****!! To weak to pull the bow back or let it down, see thats not the problem the problem is with the design and the amount of force that throws you back--or the amount of effort it takes to pull the monster.. Those are two areas that someone shouldn't have problems with especially with a bow... Now if you talking about strength, i stand 6'2" tall and weigh 220, I've played four years of college football and have a degree in Exercise Physiology---Strength is defiantly not an issue here... In this case the DXT is a fantastic bow and hopefully this forum had help the fella to stick to that bow... The DXT is probably in the top 3 bows that I have shot, the monster is 100% my least favorite out of 50-60 bows that I have shot recently. But shot what you are comfortable with!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now if you talking about strength, i stand 6'2" tall and weigh 220, I've played four years of college football and have a degree in Exercise Physiology---Strength is defiantly not an issue here...
Well, hurray for you.

I'm an even 6' and only weigh 190. I have small arms and a slender build. I've never been the muscular type, but I got a good laugh last week watching my friend who is 6' 4" weighing in at 250 almost give himself a hernia trying to draw my Drenalin set at 70#. All the muscles plastered all over your body have nothing to do with how much you can draw or let down. That's a set of muscles that you don't normally use and even a small guy can outdraw the big fellows with proper conditioning.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Spike

Thats some funny ****!! To weak to pull the bow back or let it down, see thats not the problem the problem is with the design and the amount of force that throws you back--or the amount of effort it takes to pull the monster.. Those are two areas that someone shouldn't have problems with especially with a bow... Now if you talking about strength, i stand 6'2" tall and weigh 220, I've played four years of college football and have a degree in Exercise Physiology---Strength is defiantly not an issue here... In this case the DXT is a fantastic bow and hopefully this forum had help the fella to stick to that bow... The DXT is probably in the top 3 bows that I have shot, the monster is 100% my least favorite out of 50-60 bows that I have shot recently. But shot what you are comfortable with!!!

well i am 6'8" and 270...........i have no problems drawing or letting it down. i draw it just like i draw a outback, q2, dxt, switchback, the hoyts i have shot and so on. i draw it smooth and easy and same when letting down. i still think it is a strenght issue. sorry to hurt your feelings but thats how i feel. a buddy of mine is 5'6" not really a big guy but has pretty strong back and arms and has no problems drawing or letting down either. you are supposed to use alot of your back when you draw, so maybe thats it. some people dont have stong enough back muscles. i do agree with you though...... shot what you want and are comfortable with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.