Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How do you guys stay warm? >

How do you guys stay warm?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys stay warm?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heater Body Suit
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Spike

Default Also...

Layers, handwarmers, but in a bow stand it is tough to layer too thick. I like the handwarmers and the stick on kind as well. I also find that if I have something that will keep my attention during dead times it helps me as well. Meaning I don't get frustrated by the cold. Whatever it maybe, mag, hand game, whatever. Also eating works for me, but eating works for me any ole time. Layers, polartec, handwarmers the stick on type not as bulky good gloves and hat, and absolutely understand your walk in.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

This is my setup and although I get chilly I don't get cold. I also stand the entire time I'm on stand, not sure if that helps or not. I change my clothes when I get to my hunting spot before I walk in. I first put on UnderArmour Cold Gear socks. I do this so when I put on my Cold gear tops and bottoms, the bottoms will go over the socks. After the Coldgear I have a Fleece long sleeve top and fleece pants. Over this I wear my Scenblocker/Waterproof Bibs and Coat. I have UnderArmour gloves that work better than any thick hunting gloves. I usehandwarmers and put in each pocket and put one in my pocket on my bibs that is over my chest. Most heat escapes from your head so wear a nice fleece hat. Also, try to walk to your stand slowly and/or remove your coat and get there. Try to avoid sweating to reduce scent and being cold.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Spike

WOOL on top layer. it works and i have hunted in 20 below weather.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

I just use an old Jedi mind trick.......lol.

Seriously, most of the advice you've gotten so far has been good. I try to pack in most of my outerwear and wait until I'm set up and cooled down before I start adding layers. I usually don't have much of a problem with my upper body getting too cold. It might be the extra 20 pounds I'm packing around! One thing that I do alot is scrunch my toes alot in my boots. It helps to keep my blood flowing down there and I like to think the friction creates some heat as well..or it could just be my jedi mind skills.

GH
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stand up!!!!

Stand up everynow and then. It gets the blood flowing back to you extremeties.

Wiggle your toes, and move your fingers constantly.

Make sure you boots aren't too tight. If they're too tight, you will get reduced to no blood flow to your feet and toes. Then your really screwed.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Spike

I agree layers starting with long johns. Hard to keep perfectly still on stand when its cold. I stand occasionally moving my legs and feet then the hands. Don't know about everyone else but if my feet get cold its over. I pay special att. To layers on the feet.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone! I didn't change into my hunting clothes last night till i got to my stand and i stayed much warmer. I appriciate all the tips guys!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind that up in a tree stand it seems like the air temp is 10 degrees colder than when on the ground and dress appropriately. Like other posters have said, try not to sweat before you get in your stand. I get cold easy, and once the temp goes below 32 degrees I wear a set of heavy bibs - they do not get in the way of shooting and really help keep my body warm. Also I wear 2 warm hats, one the balaclava, and then a winter hat on top of that. Preferably polar fleece. (both) My left hand I wear a mitten, the right hand a shooter glove and keep in my pocket. And of course long underwear. Although truthfully I'm not a believe in layers - doesn't seem to work for me shrug. I wear long underwear even when temp in the 40's - helps me keep less bulky stuff on. Hand warmers help, especially down in your boots right next to your toes inside your socks. You may have to air them once once during the day to get them going again. Also bring a thermos of something hot, and food to eat so you have fuel for the furnace. Just some ideas that I use - when it is super cold, the deer have to keep moving and eating, can be good hunting! Also keeps the wimps home haha.

Lastly, make sure you practice shooting with all of this crap on! Just to see what might get in the way. If I forget to button the top button of my coat, it will hit my string...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to keep your liver warm and caraded (sp) artery warm. If your pumping warm blood then the result is ovbious. Like in the summer take a frozen bottle of water and stick it on your jugular and you'll feel it when you get it cool enough it helps a lot. I can really tell if I'm wearing my neck gater or not on those cold days. And remember. Its like adding logs to a fire when you eat stuff. You have stuff to burn so. Take something to munch on. (Not celery or anything green)

Ryan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.