HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How do you guys stay warm? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/306794-how-do-you-guys-stay-warm.html)

MOhunter46 10-14-2009 08:04 AM

How do you guys stay warm?

Pretty simple question. I had about 4 layers on this morning and i still froze,and it wasent even that cold out. Im gonna get some hand warmers and try that, but i wanna hear how you guys stay warm. Thoughts?

sportsman22 10-14-2009 08:14 AM

Layer correctly.

One tip I find helpful:

If you have handwarmers, bring them. I use one of those things u strap around your waist where you can put your hands in to keep them warm with handwarmers. I usually throw about 5 or 6 of them in there if its pretty cold. Then, when your gettin the shivers, put some of the extra warmers where your body heat escapes. One good place to put a warmer is on the back of your neck or upper back. Also, when you walk to your stand and you sweat, don't wear all your clothing to the stand. Backpack it out or tie some of your upperwear around your waist. If you sweat, your screwed.

kateraxl2381 10-14-2009 08:16 AM

I've always had success in layers..but i wear cold gear underarmour and it really seems to help...but the main thing in my opinion is layers..that is all i can really say

Muliefever 10-14-2009 08:53 AM

Wear as little as possible until you are in the stand! Do not sweat!

cwanty03 10-14-2009 09:11 AM

my buddy recently used the down goose layers that cabelas offers for sale. check those out. a lot of ppl swear by them

dvalliere 10-14-2009 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MOhunter46 (Post 3472954)
Pretty simple question. I had about 4 layers on this morning and i still froze,and it wasent even that cold out. Im gonna get some hand warmers and try that, but i wanna hear how you guys stay warm. Thoughts?

Don't sweat any more than you can possibly help it (add layers after you're at your stand and cooled down).

Use the right layers: wicking materials (e.g. wool, polypro, underarmor, etc.) never cotton. Don't even think about using cotton. This is particularly true of your feet. (Unscented antiperspirant on the feet can help with sweaty, then cold, feet.)

Make sure the layers aren't too tight. Restricted blood flow makes you colder.

Handwarmers are good. Let them get out in the air for a while before you use them. (I like to get mine out 30-60 minutes before I'll be sitting in my stand.)

Sticky-body-warmers: like handwarmers but larger and have an adhesive back. Stick 'em on your kidneys, with one layer between you and them. Keep your core/trunk area warm and you'll do better on the legs and arms.

Hat. Hat. Hat.

Move a little. Obviously, hunting, you have to be still. But wiggling toes inside boots and/or flexing muscles all helps to keep blood moving.

And an outer layer that stops the wind but is still breathable to let moisture out is helpful too--when the wind cuts through your layers, you get cold fast. Keep the wind out.

Big Z 10-14-2009 09:25 AM

Long johns, fleece underjacket, big puffy overjacket. Outdoor Research neck gaiter (never go without it :) ) Stocking hat--you can even wear a thin one under a bigger one. Fleece pants over the long johns will help a lot, and of course, overalls. Liner socks with thick wool socks, and good boots.
You might look like a big ole puffy santa claus when you're done, but at least you're warm :D

Centaur 1 10-14-2009 09:27 AM

Damn, it's still in the 90's here in Florida. I'd rather be cold while hunting than covered in sweat and mosquitos.

KCMO Cityboy 10-14-2009 09:44 AM

Hey Wayne,
I finally figured this out last year and didn't suffer as in previous years. True, the layering is really important and nothing is better than good headgear. You guys might think this is a bit extreme, but after I get to my stand (usually a mile-plus walk) I put on a new base layer wicking shirt under everything, and put the other base layer in my pack, since there is moisture in it. I also remove the pair of socks I wore in and then put on a fresh combination of wool and cotton socks over the 1200gram insulated boots. That gives me some time to cool down from the hike and removes most all of the moisture from my clothes. When temps are in the teens and 20's I bring the hand muff thingy and pack a few handwarmers. I think this year for those real cold days I'll try some of those back warmer pads since my kidney area seems to be the problem area. It's great when you can get out and not have to worry about shaking uncontrollably from the cold. The buck fever is bad enough.

daveyrock 10-14-2009 09:46 AM

like Bear Grylls... I get naked and do jumping jacks...lol...actually I just layer up and stand up every once in a while, move the extremities to keep the blood flowing works too