Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tiips on hunting small woodlots? >

Tiips on hunting small woodlots?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tiips on hunting small woodlots?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tiips on hunting small woodlots?

I live on a farm in SW Wisconsin. It is actually compried of 2 farms, one is about 280 acres and one is about 150 acres. Both farms are primarily pasture/crop land with some wooded edges and small lots. The lots are 1 to 2 acres. I have had success shooting deer, and I have seen large bucks but only during the rut. The deer use the property for feeding and passing through, it isn't going to "hold" deer. I am just wondering if anyone hunts similar land and if they have any good tips for hunting small woodlots and getting deer to be more active on the property. The farm is my father-in-laws. He isn't too in to hunting, goes out the rifle opener and that is about it. I always make jokes about planting more trees and leaving his crops stand all year and he says "I'm not feeding the deer." I think to myself, too bad. So that being said, the crops are harvested and cows are in the pastures so I have to work around those certainties. Any ideas or thought would be appreciated. I would post aerial photos but I don't know how to do that.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I would think that you should set up where there are crossing properties. I am only hunting a 35 acer spot and I catch them when they cross.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt small woodlots sometimes...The main thing is, you can only hunt these with an absolute perfect wind for your stand location.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

You could post an address. Then it could be looked up with a mapping website. The biggest factor is the wind. You want to find a spot where the deer are traveling between their bedding area and their preferred food source without getting detected by their nose. Maybe the reason you aren't seeing much is your approach to the stand.

My step-dad taught me this lesson on a windy day. It was shotgun season and he was going to "push" a small woodlot. I was to sit at the north end and he would push from the south as we had a hard south wind. He waited to the west of the woodlot until I was in position and as soon as he stepped in front (to the south) of the woods, five doe came running full speed out the North end. It was amazing.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your sent free then i would just post a pop-up tent on the mornin ya wanna go, dont leave it, put it on a scouted site that has large potential fer numerous deer... be ready..i have seen deer walk right up to a blue and black camping tent and not bat an eye at it... gl
Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
I hunt small woodlots sometimes...The main thing is, you can only hunt these with an absolute perfect wind for your stand location.

Hit the nail on the head Solo! Undetected going in and always have the wind in your favor. Just like they can not hide very well in a small plot you will get picked off approaching. Keep a low profile and hope for the best. During the rut those bucks will run from plot to plot searching. I used to hunt property years ago just like you hunt and it can be the best day of you life or the worst.......remember WIND and sneak in!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Spike

I hunt a simular property and have had success staying out of the woodlots or any thicker willows or brush by setting up on any fenceline or drainage ditch.Alot of times places like these will serve as funnels and stageing areas.My fav stand is on a group of trees on a fence with a drainage ditch 35 yards off fence.Tall crp praire grasses between.As far as keeping deer we planted all kinds of food plots this year but have seen fewer big bucks and deer in general than last year.As a rule most of the timehabitat will be the choice for deer in wis.