Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Brothers First Deer >

Brothers First Deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Brothers First Deer

Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Brothers First Deer

I will start off with that I am just as proud of this deer as my brother is, it was a joint effort and a joint hunt which was awesome. I was sitting right next to him when he took the shot. It was awesome!

Anyways, the story goes like this...we sit down around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday in a buddy stand overlooking a huge clover field, to our right is a creek some CRP land and a corn field. Out in front beyond the clover is another corn field. Behind us is the woods, the deer have been favoring this corner since the season started and Brad(my Brother) and I have had plenty of action from it. At about 6:00 he spots deer about 300 yds away in the CRP land eating, and not too much longer walking along the corn field ahead of us were two bucks heading to the other deer now numbering 6 that were feeding in the grass. All attempts at calling them into bow range failed, they simply were just content eating grass and chasing each other. I was sure we were not going to get any chance at these deer. Well I decided to get agressive with my calling since I knew there were bucks there I started rattling easy at first and then got more aggressive; followed by some challenging buck grunts. This got their attention and soon after we had three bucks heading our direction, making a bee-line right for our stand. The first buck which is the one my brother shot, closed the gap within 20 min. and sat there eating facing us for another 5-10 min before turning broadside and offering a shot. Brad drew and released; but something happened, a tree branch; oh no!! puts his arrow way far back and gut shoots him. I know instantly I'm in for a long night.

we wait about 30 min and climb down, and we start trying to find the trail, luckily it had rained recently so when we couldn't find blood at first we just followed the fresh tracks, didn't take long and we had a decent blood trail leading us through the woods, some spots required me to get down on my hands and knees and others was like a red carpet to follow. I can only imagine since he didn't get a pass through(shotty mechanicals) but that arrow was still in his side when we found him meaning her ran through the entire woods hitting every branch and tree just causing massive damage. Well we followed him out to the other side of the woods, about 250-300 yds to a plowed field...crossed that and up to a road where now my brothers father-in-law had his truck parked and was helping us track, well he damn near parked over the spot he crossed the road, and he pretty much make a constant spray across. Across the road was a bean field and we found a puddle of blood at which point I knew we would be finding him soon, well someone said, oh yeah we are going to be finding us a deer, and as soon as he said it, the deer jumped up less than 20 yds aways and I said "there he is!" ha ha ha. he ran about 40 yds and was wobbling and he laid back down. His time was close, we snuck up close to about 15 yds away and put another arrow through is heart and that was the end.

A small 5 point, which will put some delicious steaks in the freezer. His first deer...fun night!! Not the best take quality pictures shot; but after all that we just wanted to get him dressed and hung. Today I get to bone him out and process him, its my first time so I'm a little nervous

I almost forgot, Brad recently bought some Trophy Ridge mechanicals (sidewinders) pieces of crap, not only did her not get a pass through with, but the arrow tip, fell off when it hit, the blades didn't fully deploy and I really couldn't tell the difference between a fixed blade shot to this one...I plan on writing the company and giving my review.

Last edited by daveyrock; 10-12-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never heard of those heads. I use fixed balde heads. Anyway, good job on the tracking. There are plenty of guys that would give up. Persistence pays.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Spike

Congrats!!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

congrats to ur brother!!! if u are going mechanical hands down the best are rage. my brother got a doe this year and here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Brothers First Deer-entery.jpg   Brothers First Deer-exit.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah that is the consensus around bowhunting circles is rage are the best, I've always been a fixed head kind of guy, but if I would ever go mechanical Rage is what I would buy...based solely on opinions like yours
Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Nice 1st deer and buck! Congrats to him.