Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
When to start mock scrapes? >

When to start mock scrapes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When to start mock scrapes?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When to start mock scrapes?

I am just starting to see a few scrapes in Southern NY, and was wondering when i should put the dripper up, and the active scrape liquid into use?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO do not use the active scrape stuff or anything else that contains estrous scent until after Halloween...

i put up a dripper in an area that had like 8 scrapes..SMALL area..20-30yds...put it on the biggest one..in the middle of a rain storm, as scent free as possible just after a hunt...

came back a week later and every single scrape was abandoned...i believe the estrous is why....but i'll never know...it was early...this time of year id say...

but i found my first real scrape show up the other day....had some of the bigger buck tracks ive seen in it...it was on an edge of a bean field...
Old 10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mauser06
IMO do not use the active scrape stuff or anything else that contains estrous scent until after Halloween...

i put up a dripper in an area that had like 8 scrapes..SMALL area..20-30yds...put it on the biggest one..in the middle of a rain storm, as scent free as possible just after a hunt...

came back a week later and every single scrape was abandoned...i believe the estrous is why....but i'll never know...it was early...this time of year id say...

but i found my first real scrape show up the other day....had some of the bigger buck tracks ive seen in it...it was on an edge of a bean field...

Oh so the stuff in the bottle, is something the bucks dont start making till around the rut?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

well, not really...

the stuff in the "active scrape" stuff contains doe estrous scent...which is doe in heat scent...

until around Halloween and later, its best to leave that stuff at home along with any other estrous scent...sure there are some does that are coming in soon...but from Halloween on is when the majority start coming in...you may be able to get a young buck interested...but a mature buck likely knows better...

who knows..maybe the buck that made all those scrapes got killed or moved or abandoned all those scrapes for other reasons...but i wont touch anything containing estrous until around Halloween...
Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion is about a week before Halloween.