Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

finally ready

Old 10-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Spike

Default finally ready

I'm finally ready to go bow hunting this year. I have all of my gear together and have practiced getting my climber tree stand together. The only thing left to do is to get out there and get up in that tree! So, I have a question for ya? How do you all prepare yourselves mentally? I'm basically asking this because I am fairly new to it and I am also hunting on my own using state land. My main concern is walking through the woods to my spot early in the wee hours of the morning when it is dark! I get freaked out easily and I would like to know how to calm my nerves? I live in the lower peninsula of Michigan so I think that the worst predator that I maybe have to worry about is the coyote but coyotes don't attack. Do they? Other then that I am going to try and stay away from movies like Friday the 13th and Fire in the Sky. LOL
Old 10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

Well i will tell you a trick that will beat that fear and that is go for the afternoon hunt oh or just go in the morning because i cant remember the last horror movie that was staged in the morning! The thing you need to get ready for the most is a deer's nose. Shower with sent control soap wash your clothes in sent control soap store with sented waffers in a sent control bag or plastic tub that has been washed out with sent control soap. Notice a common thing. Also releases with cloth bow strings and wrist straps need to be sprayed down. When practicing THE SHOT. running will get your heart rate up so run back and forth to the target then shoot a couple and see how you did. This will help you in the moment of truth. Getting in the woods is a battle against the wind stay downwind unless you have to walk accross your whole hunting area set up stands now near bedding areas along trails and pinch points. You wont be able to calm your nerves during the shot very easily but you have to learn how to shoot with them. So your entry into the woods will be much the same.