Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
? for the bowhunters that use decoys. >

? for the bowhunters that use decoys.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? for the bowhunters that use decoys.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default ? for the bowhunters that use decoys.

I'm going to give it a whirl using a buck decoy this year. I know I need to have the decoy facing me as a buck will tend to approach the decoy head-on which should present a broadside or quartering shot as he circles the decoy.

My question is....how far would you place the decoy from your tree?

25 yards seems like a good distance to me, but I would like your alls oppinion as well.

Thanks.

DD
Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about having it face you, but I would make it facing the woods/ looking at something in the thicker stuff. Ya, I would set it out 25 yards or so, that seems about right to me anyway
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

You are on the right track if you put it facing you about 25 yards away. that way when it approaches the decoy it will give you a shot at about 20 yards. When it gets closer to the rut I would take the horns off turn it around and have the buck approach it from the rear. Hope that helps you.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I used the Scarface decoy by Primos once last year. I put 'em about 22 yards out and he was facing me. I had deer come up to it (including a buck on video), but they were not in the caliber I am looking to take. We'll see what happens this year though!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i seen a buck attack a decoy from the side b4
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 sets & am taking the Renzo's today (they are actual Pics of Deer if you don't know). The Buck I am placing 25 yds. facing my stand & the feeding doe I am placing broadside to me around 15 yds. & broadside to me. Now they are silouetts.

My others are the Big Boss buck (new last week) & redi Doe.
I have them outside letting mother nature take away the plastic smell & plan on using them toward the end of Oct. WHEN my daughter can go with to hunt. I will place the Buck just as above (25 yds) & the Doe without her legs bedded even with my stand & about 10 yds away.

My stands overlook a huge Bean field with about 15 yds of hay between me & the beans. The timber edge is where my stand is so I can shoot INTO the woods & into the field. 2 trails come into the field-1 behind me at 10 yds & 1 in front of me 15 yds.. The Decoys will be between the 2 trails on the edge of the beans. Anything coming out of the woods will see the Decoys in plenty of time as to NOT be startled. Anything along the Field either way will be able to see them for at least 80 yds.

I have had deer walk to a spot & SEE the Decoy close & move away, startled & not come back. I have not had much luck with decoys & this will be 1st time in over 3 years since trying last.
I have shot a couple SMALL Bucks while using decoys.

I'll post if anything happens-good or bad...
I've passed on this Buck b/4 hoping daughter will get a shot at him but I've eaten my Buck tag going on 6 years now-I may weaken. Gotta get ready to go...
Attached Thumbnails ? for the bowhunters that use decoys.-mdgc0034.jpg  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

never used a decoy. Does it work? I have heard that it runs more off than those that come to investigate it. Is that just a rumor?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kldad06
never used a decoy. Does it work? I have heard that it runs more off than those that come to investigate it. Is that just a rumor?
It could scare off smaller/inferior bucks and does. High risks=high rewards with decoys.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Used decoys this afternoon-saw 2 does @ 100 yds. but they did not see my decoys. Nothing else.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Decoys work better closer to the rut, but have to make sure it doesnt scare off bucks like rh16kid stated. Make your rack nice but not too big where it runs off your big deer in the area. Also, make sure you take extra care on your scent control when handleing the decoy, even into your truck at home and out into the woods. Your distance from your stand sounds good and make sure you are ready for your shot as he can attack quickly if worked up already. If you see the hair stand up on his neck, he's about to charge the decoy and it may be too late for a shot.