Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sleeves....

Old 10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sleeves....

its gettin pretty cold here in MO and i started puttin on layers like i do for rifle season...never bow hunted in cold so i never thought about the bulk of clothes on my arm....so i was curious if the string hits a piece of sleeve what does that affect?? and is it bad on the bow or accuracy or what?? i had a long sleeve shirt and hoodie and a carhartt jacket on....i took the jacket off cuz it stuck out WAY to much...and even then the hoodie was still out there...and i forze without the carhartt help plz?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hitting your arm/sleeve can definitely affect your accuracy. There are several arm guards available on the market however, good form and correct draw length should keep bulk clothes out of the way.

Also, layer your core with vests and the like which will help keep you warm without adding bulk to your arms.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

very good point about the core...i have been wanting a new jacket and a vest would solve the bulk and jacket delima....
Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

vests are awesome, especially when wanting to stay warm, i prefer under armour myself for layering, and often times putting layers on it helps me get through the PA cold snaps in November during our rut.

i also am partial to the "sock-style" gloves, kind of what you see jim shockey wear, during rifle season
Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not sure how warm a vest is....last year during rifle i had under armor a hoodie a coat and coveralls.....HOPEFULLY underarmor,2 long sleeve shirts and a vest would keep me warm?? idk....but i think i got a pair of those gloves the other day at a sale....the ones where you can have a sock type thing on your fingers and fold it down and have your fingers out??
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

you got it man, i go with an under armour cold gear base layer, fleece shirt on top of that, then a vest, then an under armour cold gear hoodie, then my scent blocker coat with or without liner depending on temperature (typically, without the liner and a button down shirt if the liner is not included)

the biggest thing is just to make sure you practice with what you will hunt in...the above would be a sauna in july, but it pays off when mr. wally wallhanger is 20 yards away in the snow and blow
Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Another quick and cheap trick if your wearing layers that have elastic cuffs...twist the sleeve around your arm while your wearing it. it will hold it tighter to your arm, and its less likely to stick out in the path of your bow. Learned that trick about 15 years ago when I didn't have money for the latest and greatest gear.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i wont have the latest and greatest gear for awhile....my local wal mart doesnt have half the stuff mentioned haha so i guess i will do what i can and hope for the best....stuff is too expensive! under armor, 2 long sleeve shirts an 80 year old hoodie and a carhartt is what ill be wearing and overalls if its snowing or around 30 or below...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot my bow with my leafy jacket and used and old shirt and cut the sleeve to the length you need. I use a boot scent strap(elastic) to hold it around fore arm. I know what you mean.