Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead reviews, G5 Strikers and 2 knock offs. (save yourself some money) >

Broadhead reviews, G5 Strikers and 2 knock offs. (save yourself some money)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead reviews, G5 Strikers and 2 knock offs. (save yourself some money)

Old 10-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead reviews, G5 Strikers and 2 knock offs. (save yourself some money)

I decided that I'd like to save some money, however in order to save money in this instance, I had to spend money. So here we go.

The G5 Striker 3 Blade broadhead.
Broadhead reviews, G5 Strikers and 2 knock offs. (save yourself some money)-g5striker.jpg
$36.99 per 3

I've shot this head for 2 years now, and I love them. They fly like darts. I wasn't really wild on the 2 metal rings that you have to put on them to keep the blades in place, but I got over it with time. I've been able to experience their replacement blades in 2 of my heads, and to be honest, I never could tell a difference, they're just as sharp and still fly like darts. Last year I shot 2 deer with them, one Jumped my string and I hit her in the spine, I couldn't find the head for whatever reason, but it exploded the vertebrae it hit. The second use I had with one of them, I hit a buck square in the shoulder a little further forward than what I would have liked to and It punched straight through and stuck in the ground after coming out the spot under the neck (Brisket) Great blood, and the deer didn't go far and I was able to give it a follow up shot. Both of those heads I was able to reuse, and they're still Way sharp. Over all the short ferrule seems to add to their strength. I'm very impressed with them overall. Even though the doe dropped in her tracks she still bled like crazy.

The replacement blades are 14.99 for 9 of them and I've experienced them they are very sharp and They fly just as good as the ones that came from the factory.

The bottom line is, A great head made by a quality company, I don't know anything about their customer service but If its anything like their products, it too will be first rate. I'd recommend this head to anyone looking to get a quality head made by a great company.

Now onto the Competitors.

The Cabela's Copperhead Broadhead.
Broadhead reviews, G5 Strikers and 2 knock offs. (save yourself some money)-cabelascopperheads.jpg
Reg. 24.99 Sale 19.99 per 3

As I looked at the package, It was pretty nice, but someone could very easily bend the blades by pushing inward on the package. They are just setting in there without much protection at all, and you could tell whoever packaged these didn't care much and the package was pretty beat up, I could tell someone had been pushing on the pods that they were sitting in because The plastic was white from being bent. I could also see how if you pushed on it enough you could make the blade push through the plastic, not a very good design. Anyhow, I popped them out of the package, and there was a lot of good information about them on the package, same as the other two, and I started looking them over and handling them.... well I didn't realize it but While I was handling them, they were cutting me... not bad but it was slicing the skin. They are RAZOR sharp. I couldn't believe how sharp they were. The tips were also VERY sharp, almost as sharp as the blades.

So I waited a few days for the package to show up from Bass Pro with the other set of heads, and then today I took them out to shoot them.

I unscrewed them from they're provided plastic bases and screwed then on lining them up as best I could with the fletchings, and I wasn't at all surprised when they shot as well as they did. The first shot I took center punched the dot I was aiming for. Then the 2nd shot was a direct hit as well. They too fly like Darts.

The Replacement blades are sold through Cabelas for 14.99 for 9 of them. The same as the name brand and more expensive than the other knock off.

The bottom line is, They fly great, super sharp, and are $15 Cheaper than the Strikers if you wait until closer to the season (I've had them for about 2 or 3 weeks now I just didn't have a broadhead target until 2 days ago to shoot them at), $10 if you get them at a random point during the year.

RedHead Blackout Fixed-blade Broadheads.
Broadhead reviews, G5 Strikers and 2 knock offs. (save yourself some money)-bpsblackout.jpg
$19.94 per 3

Sadly The packaging for these was a letdown as well, I could tell that they too were molested by some worker prior to me getting them, the story was the same as far as the plastic being white in some small spots and the blades being easily poked through the paper thin plastic.

So I pop them out of the plastic and am looking at them, Razor sharp (This time I was more careful and held off on cutting myself) They're just as capable of cutting me as the Copperheads and Strikers but I was more careful. The tip of the head was Also just as sharp as the blades. I liked the way these look in comparison to the other two, The copperheads look just that copperey, and the strikers are very similar to the Blackout's but they have silver blades. The Blackouts are black on black on black, Everything except the cutting edge is black. I like that a LOT. So they win the looks category for me.

Now I got them 2nd of the 2 orders I placed, (Which they were supposed to get here the same day but BPS's took longer for some reason which was a letdown) which I also bought a flashlight as an upsell item from the lady but I didn't receive it so I called BPS to see what was up, and the guy was very nice and very professional and worked with me very nicely, and He gave me $5 off my order which the shipping was 4.95 so I got .05 off my flashlight which was 3.99 so I spent a whole 3.94 the 2nd time and Everything went smoothly and he was extremely Professional, and friendly. I'd do business with this guy any day of the week.

So I took them outside today and set them up for their test flights I draw back and let it fly. Dead X. Draw back and let the 2nd one fly. Dead X.

The Replacement blades for this head run $12.99 per 9. So they are the most inexpensive in that regard as well.

I am really happy that I made out spending Approx. $52 (incl. shipping and tax) on 2 packages of Broadheads and I have 6 heads that will fly like darts. None of which failed to impress me.

The bottom line. A great looking head with just as deadly accuracy and just as deadly cut on contact power as the name brand and the other off brand. THESE ARE THE LEAST EXPENSIVE OF THE 3. A very solid buy and, I'd buy them again any day of the week.

Hope this helps for anyone looking to score on some quality heads for discount prices.

Ryan.

If you found this to be helpful, I'd like to know. Thanks!!!

Ryan.

Last edited by my7pointmonster; 10-04-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was a good right up, thank you for the info. I to also use Strikers and think they are great, looks like these other heads arenice as well. What kind of material are the competitors heads made from?

Shane
Old 10-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent write up, thanks for the info, and money-saving tips. The big box companies are having someone make the heads, and now we know! BTW...i'm with you on the black on black of the BPS heads, very stealthy looking.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice review 7pt. Here is another one, sells at Wally World, my brother is giving them a shot this year. Looks to be close to the G5 as well.
http://dev.carbonexpressarrows.com/c...ult-lp-3-blade
Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good review!!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sr77
That was a good right up, thank you for the info. I to also use Strikers and think they are great, looks like these other heads arenice as well. What kind of material are the competitors heads made from?

Shane
I'll have to look that up and get back to you i don't know for sure and I'll look when I get home in about 3 or so hours if not I'll just send the info to you tomorrow.

Ryan.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

I almost ordered the blackouts, but I found my heads wacems for 17.99 at gander mnt in the off eason. the wacems and the black outs are close in style.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Spike

Thanks.......I'll keep that in mind!