Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
so close but yet so far away >

so close but yet so far away

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

so close but yet so far away

Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default so close but yet so far away

Well first i went to the local rifle range to shoot my bow out to 60 yards. Figured the dirt hill would make a ok backstop and it is flat and out to 100 yards. I got my 20 30 and 40 set good. My 50 and 60 was both a little low. Well i lost my wrench i was adjusting the pins with so i had to drive in and get a new one.
When we where heading back out we saw three does in a field. I swear not an hour before i had been by there and had just bought my tags.
I get out nock a arrow and walk just in the wood line about 10 yards as to make everything legal. Though my permit for my bad knee would allow me to shoot one from my truck parked i did not want to do that i figured alittle stalking would make for a great first kill any way. I step out real slow and get ready to draw the one big doe walked away with her ass to me. Then she turns i ranged her she was out at 68. I thought if i am alittle low i should be perfet if i set the pin on her spine. I was dead on with the heart when the arrow went. The killer was as i let my release go a good gust of wind came by. My cousin was with me and said i missed here by about 8 inchs he said it was heart, lung level but just on the other side of her neck.
She moved another 25 yards which was way out of range so i went back into the woods for some more stalking but when i came out she was gone.
The sucky thing is i lost my 15 dollar arrow. Where going to go look tomorrow and finish sighting my bow in.
Question will a metal detecter find the arrow because of the metal insert. I think it is in some knee high brush so i thought it would help find it.
One good thing is unlike the season before last i did not have much in the way of deer fever as far as shacking and all that. I just thought of her as my glendale full rut and let the arrow go. Which makes me fill better about my next shot.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim......oh Tim.

Ya, the metal detector will work.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story, maybe next time. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tim....oh Tim
Keep at it bud. Yea the metal detector couldn't hurt.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

SHe would be hanging if it was not for the wind. ERRRRR. I am glad none the less as i think it will help me later. Atleast i got to shoot at something this year. Opening day driving down the road and a short stalk already better then last. If my stand does not get stolen. OHHH and this was public land should have added i don't want anyone thinking i was tresspassing.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh dear 6 pound 3 ounce sweet baby jesus, where were you during this?

Tim.. if the dog didnt stop to take a ****, he'd have caught the rabbit too.

It's a BOW. Keep it to 30 and under. You're playing with fire with anything much further. 68 is plain stupid. Too many variables, too many if's, too many bad things can happen. As abow hunter we try to rid ourselves of all possible failure possibilities - not walk into them! IF the wind was right you'd have hit her. Maybe. What about IF the wind was wrong and you hit her in the leg and never recover her?

I'm wasting breath.

Lets hope this post is a funny - haha type post. Wowsers.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not sure what was a bigger mistake-taking a 68 yard shot or posting about it on here
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have read here and other places where many bow hunters have taken deer out that far. Might have been a mistake properly was. How are we going to become better hunters if we do not discuss our hunt, success and mistakes with fellow hunters.
Originally Posted by dprsdhunter
Im not sure what was a bigger mistake-taking a 68 yard shot or posting about it on here
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Dan
Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was a bean field with the wind to my face and my right. It was not blowing but gusting. When target shooting just down the road i had little issues with the rain. We have what if with every shot. Your not wastling your breath. If i did not want your thoughts i would not have posted it. As for keeping it under 30. I do not disagree or agree. I have read many a post about kills out to 60 yards. 68 properly pushing it, heck i watched ted nugent make a 80 yard shot without a sight. With the wind a semi spooked deer and just getting sighted in sure it was properly a bad idea. Now with a tree stand no wind, a good range finder and a clear shot maybe 60 is fine. Now i am not saying i have the experience bowhuntering to say it is or not
Originally Posted by fingerz42
Oh dear 6 pound 3 ounce sweet baby jesus, where were you during this?

Tim.. if the dog didnt stop to take a ****, he'd have caught the rabbit too.

It's a BOW. Keep it to 30 and under. You're playing with fire with anything much further. 68 is plain stupid. Too many variables, too many if's, too many bad things can happen. As abow hunter we try to rid ourselves of all possible failure possibilities - not walk into them! IF the wind was right you'd have hit her. Maybe. What about IF the wind was wrong and you hit her in the leg and never recover her?

I'm wasting breath.

Lets hope this post is a funny - haha type post. Wowsers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.