Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
so close but yet so far away >

so close but yet so far away

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

so close but yet so far away

Old 10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off Im not trying to start anything with you.
If you are going to post about it be prepared to take some slack.

If you are consistant and comfortable with a 68 yard shot more pwoer to you I guess. Still It is something I personally would never attempt.

Part of the problem I see is that you were just sighting in your bow and stated you were not proficiant at that distance---a "little low at 50 and 60" you say. Thus you had to make a guesstamation on hold over for where you was hitting at 60 plus another 8 yards.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Deer move, most targets don't.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim you missed a target and hit a shed.

Yet, you think you are good enough to shoot at a living animal - AT 68 YARDS?

Deer move you know.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most guys that shoot 60+ have been shooting their bows for more than a week.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, 68 yards, I would take that shot with my muzzleloader, don't believe I woulda told that story!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim, take this for what it is a learning experiance. I would never take that shot and I've been shooting that bow for 4 years. A live animal can do many differant things at 70 yards before the arrow gets there. Practice paitence and you will have better luck.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow man thats tough luck good luck finding it
Old 10-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tim - I am an avid bowhunter and have been for 16 years now and 30ish yards is my max for whitetailed deer...IMHO they are too jumpy and always moving...heck when you practice at 50 yards if you breathe incorrectly and release your impact can be a foot off and thats without adrenaline in your system and on a stationary target.... do as you will but I think 60 + is a little extreme...
Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim is right, if we don't discuss our hunts with more expierenced hunters, then how does the unexpierenced hunter learn.

I know guys out west who will take a 60-70 yard shot in a heart beat, but they have been shooting that distance all year prior to the start of the season. Learn what your comfort zone is and stay within that zone. Conditions may cause that zone to vary. For example, I shoot my hunting setup at 40 yards in my back yard all year, but would not take a 40 yard shot at a deer unless the conditions were perfect. Normally for me, I stay 30 yards and in.

Hunt hard and learn from your mistakes, it will eventually payoff for you.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are properly right. I thought it might be a bad idea before i did it. I expected to get slammed. How would i know weather i was right or not if i did not ask. As for the shed. That was a sighting mistake i was moveing the pins wrong. Still can not figure how my arrow end up right behind the hay though seems it would have had to bend around at a angle. But who knows
She did not move untill the arrow landed. My guess is it hit near her and scared her off.
68 wont be a issue in my stand it is on 5 trails and a bean field all under 40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.