Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
SLOW opening day >

SLOW opening day

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SLOW opening day

Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default SLOW opening day

Well today I went out for the opening here in Michigan. It was slow all day. I saw 2 deer in the AM and only 3 this evening, a fork horn and a 6 point, both extremely small. The guy I hunt with only saw 4 does this morning and nothing tonight. Was it really slow for anyone else as well? To add to the sucky day we are hardly seeing any signs of deer on the property at all this year, very few tracks in the fields and no rubs or scrapes either. Not sure what is really going on. Anyone else having this trouble too?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm nowhere near you, but we are seeing no buck sign at all. We have some does on the property though, I'm hoping they attracts some bucks.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think seeing 5 deer in a day is pretty good. Keep at it.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang dude im not sure why your complaining, sound like a pretty good day to me.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

The problem is that you are hunting in MI where the MDNR wants every deer shot and does not have a clue as to how to manage deer nor can then manage $. Maybe these go hand in hand.
The only good deer management is on land that is managed by private owners who have a clue. I am not claiming to have the answers but you sure would think that the money that comes in from the 3rd largest hunting sales in the nation would have a clue. Just my opinion...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

I had a pretty slow night. I didn't see any deer until about 715, when I saw three deer about 75 yards away. Other than that, I didn't see a thing except a black squirrel and a few chipmunks.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

First time will be in the morning. I will keep ya posted. Hope to catch the one i saw tonight. Not a monster but it is a shooter.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MOTOWNHONKEY
I think seeing 5 deer in a day is pretty good. Keep at it.
Agreed, I've hunted four days this week and haven't seen a deer since last Saturday when I killed a doe...let me change that, I haven't seen a deer while in the stand during shooting hours.