Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Windy Success

Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Spike

Default Windy Success

I got my first deer of the year down! The wind here is blowing hard with gust up to 32mph. I figured I would give it a try anyway because I have the day off.

I got out to my stand 30 minutes before shooting light. At 8am I heard leaves crunching. 6 does and 4 fawns came from behind me (and down wind). I video taped them for a bit and then decided to take one. She wasn't the most mature doe, but she didn't have a fawn. Man alive, they just appear like ghost.

It was an 8 yard shot. I double lunged her and she went 30 yards. What a hunt! I was back home from the hunt (and the locker) by 10:30am.....and people say bow hunting is hard.

I learned two things:
1. The best time to hunt is any time you can get out into the field.
2. Scent control is key.

I am not going to attach a picture. In my excitement I didn't notice her tongue hanging out when I was taking pictures. No offense to anyone, but that seems disrespectful. Again, that is just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. BTW, I've photoshopped out tongues on some shots I had of deer before. Fairly easy process.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! You should post the pics anyways.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! and way to use proper scent control and still get a deer with the wind blowin hard!