Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Back from the Gila - Story & Pics >

Back from the Gila - Story & Pics

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back from the Gila - Story & Pics

Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Back from the Gila - Story & Pics

Well just got back from my New Mexico Elk hunt and I thought I would post a day by day summary with some pictures. I want to thank Keith White and the crew at Keith White Outfitting out of Hondo, Texas. Not only did we have alot of fun, but he was a great teacher of elk hunting strategies and has a vast knowledge of the elk herd in the area and elk habits in general. This was a great adventure and they worked hard to ensure it happened.

DAY ONE - ARRIVAL - We traveled 1765 miles non-stop from Erie, PA to my Aunt's house just north of Alburquerque, New Mexico. We spent the night and left around 7am the following morning to make our 5 hour drive to the Gila Wilderness. Our travels were slow going as we were hit with Flash Flood Warnings during heavy Thunderstorms. As we followed our directions we were informed that the roads we had to travel had 6-7ft of water flowing over them. We were ahead of our designated 1pm meeting time, but with the roads flooded I questioned whether or not we would make it. We were advised to turn around and try to enter the Wilderness from the West, which took us 200 miles and 3 hours to find out that too was not going to be had. At this point we had to back track that journey to hope that the waters had reduced their levels in order for us to pass. Let me say at this point my hunting partner and I were speechless and not sure what to do. We had no way to contact our guide as cell reception in the 900,000 acre Wilderness is non-existent. Our frustration sooned turned to disappointment which then turned to determination as we were not to be left out of elk camp. Needless to say we made the 70 plus mile drive into the Wilderness and with a little help from Mother Nature and some other hunters we made our final destination into camp around 9:30pm, well past our 1pm meeting time. Most important we made it safe and determined that nothing will keep me from elk hunting ! Dan the Man woke from his bed and warmed up some chili that was left over as from dinner. He heard of our adventure and knew that we were hungry and he was right.

Day 2 - We were awaked by the sound of breakfast and fresh coffee and the sound of the other hunters success stories and close calls. Terry had taken a nice 5x5 bull out of blind over looking a tank and his hunting partner had harvested a magnificant Pope & Young Black Bear. They had been here before and their stories only elevated my excitement for what awaited me for three years, my Gila Wilderness Hunt.

Unloading at Base Camp

Day 3 - Packing In - Keith and the crew inspected our contents and asked that we limit what we take in as the bare essentials. They went over what we needed and loaded the mules and horses for what was to be a 8-9 mile pack in that would take us a little over 3 hours. It started out a nice warm day to only give us some rain. If we made camp in time, we would have the last two hours to hunt...which is what I wanted to do....

Leading the Mules up some difficult terrain...this is what stops the others...

Day 3 - Evening Hunt - We arrived at the Spike Camp, unloaded our gear as Keith advised that if we settled in and could be ready soon we would make the evening hunt. That was easy for us, in 30 minutes we were on the trail. We traveled not far from camp and I heard my first bugle ! I was ready to go and asked Keith, "Did you hear that ?" and as he smiled he replied, "Lets leave that one alone for now, we have bigger bulls to check on." I followed every step as we moved up this draw and the bugle frenzy began. Keith advised that once he starts to call that we maintain a 50-70 yard distance in from of him. When the bull bugles advance if we can at least 10-20 yards. His first call had an immediate reply and within 15 minutes we had 5 bulls firing off at one another. Let me tell you that what happened over the next 45 minutes was vocalization that I have never experienced or witnessed on any hunting video. I could hear the bulls getting closer as to be determining who was the king of this ridge. The evening ended as my hunting partner, D. Cooper, had a visual on a 300 plus bull at 70 yards, but nothing closer as darkness was fast approaching. At this point Keith signaled to pull back and that we would return in the morning. As we moved down the hill in a "retreat" pace, Keith calling as to mimick the presence of cow elk moving to cover our noise, the bulls actually maintained a distance of 200-300 yards following us down the hill. What an exciting night, but that was just a sample of what was to come. It soon became a sleepless night.

Our home in the Gila Wilderness

Day 4- I was awake at 4:45, I arose to Keith standing outside of the tent with a warm cup of coffee. As I stood by him, I could hear bulls bugling in every direction. What an awesome sound. After a quick cup of coffee, we were off back where we ended as Keith felt the bigger bulls were still hanging in that area and that was confirmed by the growls and chuckles we heard. I will say this, we walked by at least 12 bulls to get to this ridge. As daylight crested we were set behind the herd not 150 yards and the UFC of elk hunting began all over again. Within this morning, our first set up had us on 6-7 bulls in this small drainage. As I moved on the closest bugle, I had my first elk of the season within 20 yards, a cow, making here way ahead of me towards what sounded like the King of the Hill. My heart was pounding !!! As I looked back at Keith in disbelief of all the frenzy that was taking place, I was reassured of doing the right thing by his smile and gesture of "Get in there".... As I moved up the drainage only a few steps from my right I heard this raking and breaking of branches, and here he comes, a majestic trophy for any elk hunter, which stopped in front of me a mere 60 yards behind some brush. He stood there for nearly 5 minutes answering the bull to my left out of sight, which he would soon race to chase out of his area. As I retreated back to Keith after things settled down, I asked, " That was a really big bull" and he thought it would of scored in the 340's. By the end of the day I had seen nearly 10 elk, 3 of which were bulls, one 340 plus bull and another that would score somewhere in the 320's....not a bad day

Do I look excited ??

Last edited by elkhuntinut; 09-26-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Day 5 - This day we traveled again to the famous ridge I had become to charish so early in the hunt. We again got into a buglin' frenzy and were able to get pretty close to elk, but nothing I wanted. I had a good 6 point bull at a distance of 34 yards, but he was a little weak in the fronts and back, and with what I had seen the previous day, decided that I would pass. During the late morning break I joked with Keith about how I like to "Fire up the Band" when I call. He said lets hear it....as I pulled out every call I had we laughed and joked after my 4 minute musical, grabbed our packs and headed on our journey to find some more bulls. We took 5 steps to see this small rag horn 5 point on a dead run to our spot !! He wanted a front row seat to what he heard, but didn't like what he saw. This day was a good day as I finished my evening hunting at the waterhole the elk of the area use and the one Terry was successful on the previous week.

DAY 6 - Again we awoke about 4:45pm, this time the only difference was the alarm was that a very close elk outside my tent. As I left the tent and met with Keith I almost thought I was dreaming until he confirmed my alarm. This morning we decided to head the other direction as the elk appeared more vocal in an area we left untouched. We made our hike out and down the ridge only to pause so to pin point the location of what was a distant bugle. Keith had believed the source was located not far from a wallow that he had mentioned had been used heavily earlier in the season. It wasn't long until the bugle identified the bull's location and it was closer than we had thought. As we slowly crept around the juniper bushes the bull was spotted in a small park feeding all alone. Perfect, as we had time to glass this bull and check the wind, his 6 point frame would put him in the 320 class and decided this was a bull worth setting up for. It seemed so perfect, so my hunting partner and I split up on this ridge for what we thought would be the perfect ambush. This turned out to be a mistake. Keith made two perfect cow calls and this bull fired back immediately, picked up his head and on his way he came. As he approached the 100 yard mark, I felt the wind hit me in the neck which put my hunting partners scent directly in the path of the approaching bull. All was silent. With my location about 40 yards to the left of the approach, I crept down the ridge about 10 yards for a better vantage point to see the bull frozen in his tracks looking in the direction of where my friend's hidden location. It didn't take long for this bull to decide that so far in his life his nose has never let him down. He turned and left the direction he came and disappeared in the junipers....so close. Not to long after this awesome encounter did it take for us to spot another bull, an awesome bull that we thought would in the 340 area, however with his cows present, it became quite the task to even get close. The terrain, the location and mutiple guards has this bull protected until another day.

I will conclude that we were in bulls everyday and I saw a total of 11 bulls, of which 5 would score over 300, 2 of which pushed the 340 number. I can't recall the total elk I had seen, but I can say that every morning and evening it was action and we saw elk !!! My hunting partner and I made some mistakes in learning these aggressive "new to me" elk hunting techinques. As I concluded my 32 hour drive back to Pennsylvania two things crossed my mind. One was the immediate friendship that we made with Keith along his abilities in pursing elk. Second, I look forward to the day in which I can again venture back into the Gila Wilderness Area to pursue my pursuit of the rutting bull elk. Until then, if you are at the Harrisburg Show in February 2010 please stop by and tell my friends Keith and Barbara White hello.......its amazing what friendships can be established at elk camp.

A Shed that was found...wonder how big he is this year.

Listening from a Ridge

Keith & D. Cooper checking out a wallow

A Sunset in the Gila, only if I could have captured the sound in the background

Last edited by elkhuntinut; 09-26-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Our famous ridge

A Bull the was found in the early season - UNKNOWN CAUSE

Younger (one of the guides) leading our train of mules out

Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent read and pics!! Proof, you don't need to score in order to have an incredible adventure.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with crokit. That looked like a great hunt. Having fun is what it is all about. Great story and great pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

Cool pics!!! NM is very beautiful in certain areas.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for sharing your story and the great pics! I was looking forward to hearing about it. Yea, you don't have to kill something every time out to have some of the most memorable hunts. I knew you were in for an awesome hunt when you first mentioned you would be hunting the Gila region, that's top shelf elk country. That's the kind of stuff that WILL bring you back.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Looked like a hunt of a lifetime!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Elkhuntinut

Bravo !! Bravo, a great story and also a touch of emotion and gratitude shown through out your writing, sounds like a trip worth it's weight in gold. Glad your stubornes paid off , getting through the water blockages on the way. I believe you'll be back.
Thanks for sharing.
Rocky
Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Be back I will. With the new regulations I can not apply until 2011. The country was awesome and now I see why many return.

Originally Posted by early in
Thanks for sharing your story and the great pics! I was looking forward to hearing about it. Yea, you don't have to kill something every time out to have some of the most memorable hunts. I knew you were in for an awesome hunt when you first mentioned you would be hunting the Gila region, that's top shelf elk country. That's the kind of stuff that WILL bring you back.
This was the most intenense elk hunt that I have been on ever ! Some things could of worked out better, but it is what it is.
Originally Posted by youngfart
Elkhuntinut

Bravo !! Bravo, a great story and also a touch of emotion and gratitude shown through out your writing, sounds like a trip worth it's weight in gold. Glad your stubornes paid off , getting through the water blockages on the way. I believe you'll be back.
Thanks for sharing.
Rocky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.