Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Maryland 2009, first trip. >

Maryland 2009, first trip.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maryland 2009, first trip.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maryland 2009, first trip.

Well the Hunting didn't prove to be anything to write home about I didn't even end up seeing a deer while on stand, however I did snap a few pictures. Here's the pictures from start to finish.

Trip was to Green ridge state forest, near Flintstone, Maryland Bigcountry.

Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-01.jpg
My truck, loaded waiting for the other guy to show up. We were way early.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-02.jpg
my Ranger on the left and the other guys Xtera on the right. Both with the Bone collector front plates. (Team 24 till the end baby)
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-03.jpg
Looking at the camp from the tent.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-04.jpg
"The Shooting Range"..... There is a block sitting next to the tree thats in the light. Gave us something to do seeing as how we weren't killing anything....
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-05.jpg
A shot of camp, Thats Collin standing in front of the bush and he appears to be picking his nose.... and Mark is getting something out of the back of the Xtera.

Ryan.

Overall, I'd say the trip was a success even though I didn't get to release an arrow, it was truly an experience and I'd do it again in a Heartbeat, its nice to sit around a campfire telling stories with your friends, even though not everyone who was supposed to go was able to make it, it was still a good trip.

I spent the majority of my time shooting when I wasnt on stand, wanted to make sure I was ready to be there flinging arrows, everyone else saw deer except for me, and Collin even saw a Bear one night, which had me laughing like a little kid when i read his text message in the stand. Collin is deathly afraid of heights, and he was about 8 foot to the bottom platform off the ground when he saw this bear, I kept thinking to myself If that bear comes over and tries to grab the platform I can picture him flying up that tree in the climber. Later that night 3 does walked past Collin at about 100 yards through the Scrub oak's.

Mark saw 9 does one sit and then 2 in another nothing came close to him. he said the closest he would have had a shot was 60 yards, and thats not gonna cut it.

The trip is going to become an annual trip and we hope to have the amount of success we did the first year, where myself and another guy shot does and I shot a spike. We hunted the same spots as last year but the weather seemed to be against us.

Only Collin got a shot at a doe, and he blew that pretty good, Second year in a row for a miss. He was walking out from hunting and she stood up 20 yards broadside, well I guess he didn't see the branch in the way of the shot, and he sent a schwacker broadhead flying through the tree's.

Its not always the killing that makes the trip. Sometimes its just getting by with what you have and being with people you enjoy the company of.

Ryan.

Last edited by my7pointmonster; 09-24-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
bigcountry

Where was ya at?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

some more.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-06.jpg
The Road leading down into the camp.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-07.jpg
Looking down from the treestand at the trail, one of the non cut shooting lanes I had to work with.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-08.jpg
I could shoot if they were on the other side of the second log but not the first because there was a branch in the way.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-09.jpg
Looking straight down in front of me, First run with the Ultimate camo, it looked great, my friend couldn't find me in it, he saw my steps before he saw me.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-10.jpg
On the near side of this log is the trail that runs down into the drainage, this must have been an old road or something.

Ryan.

Last edited by my7pointmonster; 09-24-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last Batch.

Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-11.jpg
Can you find me in this Picture? It's a Shadow of me in a Stand.
Maryland 2009, first trip.-marylandtrip2009-12.jpg
I tried to take a picture of a squirrel who was back in the timber a little too far.

Ryan.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like Western MD with the bear and spike buck descriptions. Love that place!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Green ridge state park in flintstone maryland. Idk if that gets considered as western maryland but its in allageney county.

Ryan.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by my7pointmonster
Green ridge state park in flintstone maryland. Idk if that gets considered as western maryland but its in allageney county.

Ryan.
Yup its in Western Md. We hunt down there a gd bit. Next time you come this way let me know maybe we could hook up and go together. What part of Green Ridge did ya hunt?

We went camping down there the first weekend of rifle last year. No one did any gd a buddy blew a 20 yd shot at a 6 pt with a rifle. But we had a blast and will probably do it again this year.