Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com >

NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com

Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Spike

Thumbs down NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com

Hi. My name is Nick and i am 18 years old and have been an avid deer hunter for the past 6 years. I have taken my share of deer (between 20-25) with my 30-30, .243, and 12 gauge, but up until this year i have never hunted with a bow. This season i have been using my fathers bow (a rather old "Spoiler" compound) and have already taken one this season (115 lbs doe), but i am ready to invest in my own bow. I am looking to spend about $400-500 for the bow, sights, silencers, and a whisker biscuit. Any advice on which bow to go for? I'm rather new to bowhunting as i stated before so i'm lost when it comes to this stuff. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

Nick
Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

Since you are on a limited budget, which I can understand..I would say go to a place like Bass Pro or Dicks and see what they have in your price range..Pick a couple up in your price range and shoot them all. I would suggest in that price range a Reflex or Fred Bear..other people might have different opinions on bows. But it's most important to go and shot a lot of different ones to find the right one. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it were me on that budget i would look for a newer-used bow on here or any of the other "large" outdoor classifieds.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Spike

like i said any advice helps! i appreciate it man. what about sights though? any recomendations?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

stay away from a whisker biscuit, get a good drop away rest. I like a sliding single pin type sight.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Spike

the only reason i want to go with a whisker biscuit is because i have a bad habit of tilting a bit when i draw back and my arrow tends to slide off the rest. any tips on how to fix that in my draw back process? its just a bad habit i guess
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sciondude09
the only reason i want to go with a whisker biscuit is because i have a bad habit of tilting a bit when i draw back and my arrow tends to slide off the rest. any tips on how to fix that in my draw back process? its just a bad habit i guess
Thats a sign of too much draw weight...lots of practice to build muscles and develop form is one remedy...other is shoot a bow with a lower draw weight!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Spike

yeah thats why i need my own bow...i'm using my dads and he hunts with 60 lbs and i'm a rather scrawny little white boy haha and would prefer more like 45-50 lbs. i can't really adjust his draw weight without having to line the sights back up and thats way too much of a hassle! thanks for informing me though haha.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, welcome to the boards. Secondly I would check out the Diamond Razors Edge. You can pick up the entire outfit for around $350. This bow is draw weight adjustable from 35-60 lbs. with one set of limbs. It is also draw length adjustable with set screws in the cams, no press required. Great bow to start out with and grow into as you get stronger. No matter what you buy, make sure you go to a reputable pro shop, that way you will be set up correctly.

Shane
Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are full containment type drop away rests, that what you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.