Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
arrow cost 20 a arrow what the heck >

arrow cost 20 a arrow what the heck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow cost 20 a arrow what the heck

Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
well i talked with the manager at gander he was a rude a**. He told me he could not match cabelas because they where online. He told me they have had the same price since the time the doors opened. He would not even talk about matching anyone on the labor cost. Which i can kind of understand. He told me if it was a local archary shop he would do something. I told him ok and I then called the local shop. The guy is at 170.00 out the door tax quikspins and everything. I called gander back and the guy at the archery desk was even worst. HE gave me the bunch of crap about how they had alot of stuff to do and that they got 20 repair yesterday afternoon. I was there everyone was after me. He tried to say it was so high for labor because i brought the stuff in. Which i told him well if i brought it in i guess i do not need to pay you the 160 for the arrows right. Then he found the order with there arrows and there vanes. He came down about 40 off the local shop i guess because i bought everything with them. He did not care i dropped a 1000 dollars in there yesterday did not care if a came back. This is the last trip i will make to gander mountain. They matched cabelas on my bradely smoker. Knocked 100 bucks off it.
DUH,,,,,it's a big retail store they could care less if you spend $5000 a day at the store it's a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things for them.....to top it off it's the busiest time of year for them so if you don't get it done there's a lazy guy right behind you that will get the same thing done and pay the money.........really you shouldn't depend on others to do the work for you. You should learn how to do it yourself and save yourself the headache and now your equipment from top to bottom.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wallhangr
I hear ya on the labor, but really ????? Mine went for tuition and books.

Yeah no doubt I was raiding mine and my parents freezer to keep my girl friend in law school from starving to death until her check came... and Obama cut it by $1000 for no reason at all....

I am in agreeance with Big bulls here as normal.... he and I both do the same thing for a living... and we see it all the time.

As to the dude in Gander.... I'm not sticking up for his bad attitude... but he is stressed and overworked... it is no excuse at all to treat someone with contempt or malace.... especially when they spent their money (all of it) with you.

When someone buys all their stuff at the 'Pro Bass' and then carries it to me and complains about having to pay labor... not only are you going to pay full fare.... but I'm going to make fun of you publicly while you are paying me full fare. Dinner and a show..... how bout them apples..... 99% of the folks in this catagory are great sports about it too.... and we usually have a customer for life.

I don't work for free... and I do not like being acosted by customers about labor charges... and I don't care what they do at the Pro Bass because if their level of work was anything even close to what mine is... then you wouldn't be in my shop with your Redhead bow now would you?????

My labor charges are fair... competitive... and the same for just about everyone across the board.... if you bought the bow from me.... and even the parts or new string and cable... I'll take it easy on you...and give you a discount on the parts..... but don't buy a bunch of stuff in a box and carry it to me to assemble and complain when I charge you $75 for my time. Rant Off.

Our shop charges $3.50 to strip, clean and refletch arrows with any vane except feathers or quickspins... I think feathers are running about $5.50/arrow now and quickspins are $4.50/arrow.. but we do so few I don't even know. Fletching arrows well is a real art... and while I can do it... our shop's arrow fletcher is my boss' sister in law... who is also a teacher and does some of our office work... she is flat out great at it.... I mean I can make them stick... but you'll see glue runovers and what not.... her's look better than factory... and I mean that....

No charge for cutting and gluing inserts on arrows bought with us... when we sell and arrow... we sell the whole thing.... and we make sure its the right one at the right length... duh.....

If you wanted new shafts with a custom fletch... we wouldn't do that in house..... its faster and less expensive for us and the customer to order them from our distributor already done that way.... (those $20,000 commercial spray glue hydraulic fletching machines really cut the overhead of labor down to nothing)... quickspins and feathers are a $10 upcharge from the normal price (which is a hell of a deal really).

So basically Tim, in your situation.... the maxmia hunters with Speed hunters would have run your $150 a dozen, plus $10 upcharge and tax (5% in VA).... thats $168 out the door.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lol i knew someone would hit me for it. I spent all my hunting money months ago on books welding equipment a new laptop because the ones at the school sucked. Then the living expenses for the last three months the loan was to pay for. I figured i had a right to take out my hunting money i spend. 1100 out of a 5300 refund ant much. By the time i pay off my truck buy a furance and pay a few bills i will be broke.
Originally Posted by wallhangr
I hear ya on the labor, but really ????? Mine went for tuition and books.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol i knew someone would hit me for it. I spent all my hunting money months ago on books welding equipment a new laptop because the ones at the school sucked. Then the living expenses for the last three months the loan was to pay for. I figured i had a right to take out my hunting money i spend. 1100 out of a 5300 refund ant much. By the time i pay off my truck buy a furance and pay a few bills i will be broke.
Had to bust your chops a little for that - I'll get your package sent out soon.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you really need 12 arrows if money is tight? Or the $300 deer target? Rangefinder?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have ran my own buisness and helped run another. You are right. I am not one of the guys who run off buy a bunch of stuff from bass pro and ask a local store to do all the work. I would expect someone to want a bunch of money for it. I told the local guy i ordered my arrows from today that i now felt guilty having to ask gander to match him. Plus i feel guilty i doubt 800 dollars worth of stuff at gander and my arrows from him. He had no proplem with it. He told me normaly he gets his customers from gander when it comes to buying the arrows and they see the cost and quality of work. I am loyal if i find a good shop i will stick with them. I do not like the local shop in sullivan because i was in there one day and was telling the guy how i got a box of 45 hallow points for 30 bucks. He said why in the heck did you buy them from f*ckmart and not me. He did not have them and his price was 50 bucks. He is also a a**hole think you should pay him double the price for everything.
I do not mind paying more if it is for a reason. Like paying you for a perfect fleatch or to tune my bow.

Also tell your girlfriend i said good luck with school. It is alot of work going to law school. I am real lucky i get paid to go then my loan and everything. Sucks they cut here loan i know a guy who was getting 3800 and it went down to 2800. Come to find out his math teacher dropped him because he had not turned anything in and the work was not even due yet. All my hunting money went out months ago for school stuff. SO i felt i had the right to take it out of my loan. Kind of like repaying my self. Plus not like it is free money i will be repaying it anyway
Originally Posted by SwampCollie
Yeah no doubt I was raiding mine and my parents freezer to keep my girl friend in law school from starving to death until her check came... and Obama cut it by $1000 for no reason at all....

I am in agreeance with Big bulls here as normal.... he and I both do the same thing for a living... and we see it all the time.

As to the dude in Gander.... I'm not sticking up for his bad attitude... but he is stressed and overworked... it is no excuse at all to treat someone with contempt or malace.... especially when they spent their money (all of it) with you.

When someone buys all their stuff at the 'Pro Bass' and then carries it to me and complains about having to pay labor... not only are you going to pay full fare.... but I'm going to make fun of you publicly while you are paying me full fare. Dinner and a show..... how bout them apples..... 99% of the folks in this catagory are great sports about it too.... and we usually have a customer for life.

I don't work for free... and I do not like being acosted by customers about labor charges... and I don't care what they do at the Pro Bass because if their level of work was anything even close to what mine is... then you wouldn't be in my shop with your Redhead bow now would you?????

My labor charges are fair... competitive... and the same for just about everyone across the board.... if you bought the bow from me.... and even the parts or new string and cable... I'll take it easy on you...and give you a discount on the parts..... but don't buy a bunch of stuff in a box and carry it to me to assemble and complain when I charge you $75 for my time. Rant Off.

Our shop charges $3.50 to strip, clean and refletch arrows with any vane except feathers or quickspins... I think feathers are running about $5.50/arrow now and quickspins are $4.50/arrow.. but we do so few I don't even know. Fletching arrows well is a real art... and while I can do it... our shop's arrow fletcher is my boss' sister in law... who is also a teacher and does some of our office work... she is flat out great at it.... I mean I can make them stick... but you'll see glue runovers and what not.... her's look better than factory... and I mean that....

No charge for cutting and gluing inserts on arrows bought with us... when we sell and arrow... we sell the whole thing.... and we make sure its the right one at the right length... duh.....

If you wanted new shafts with a custom fletch... we wouldn't do that in house..... its faster and less expensive for us and the customer to order them from our distributor already done that way.... (those $20,000 commercial spray glue hydraulic fletching machines really cut the overhead of labor down to nothing)... quickspins and feathers are a $10 upcharge from the normal price (which is a hell of a deal really).

So basically Tim, in your situation.... the maxmia hunters with Speed hunters would have run your $150 a dozen, plus $10 upcharge and tax (5% in VA).... thats $168 out the door.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

lol. I had money set aside for my hunting stuff months ago i spent it on school. So i took the money back out of my loan. As for needing 12 arrows why not. 6 for target shooting 6 to have for hunting. I need a target and a rangfinder. Why buy the cheap crap.
Originally Posted by buttonbuckmaster
Did you really need 12 arrows if money is tight? Or the $300 deer target? Rangefinder?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

School loans are just that, loans. You have to pay them back, so be careful what you spend on. (Just to add to what others said)

I see you said it was money you had and stuff.. just saying though
Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Honestly, with the way the economy is today, anywhere you can save some money is the best way to go and in doing that you will have to do some things yourself. The more you know who to do things the less you have to depend on others especially when its crunch time. You could have 6 arrows done in one hour if you had the tools and know-how to assemble them instead of waiting all this time and it would give you more time on the range to get everything sighted in and adjusted.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have ran my own buisness and helped run another. You are right. I am not one of the guys who run off buy a bunch of stuff from bass pro and ask a local store to do all the work. I would expect someone to want a bunch of money for it. I told the local guy i ordered my arrows from today that i now felt guilty having to ask gander to match him. Plus i feel guilty i doubt 800 dollars worth of stuff at gander and my arrows from him. He had no proplem with it. He told me normaly he gets his customers from gander when it comes to buying the arrows and they see the cost and quality of work. I am loyal if i find a good shop i will stick with them. I do not like the local shop in sullivan because i was in there one day and was telling the guy how i got a box of 45 hallow points for 30 bucks. He said why in the heck did you buy them from f*ckmart and not me. He did not have them and his price was 50 bucks. He is also a a**hole think you should pay him double the price for everything.
I do not mind paying more if it is for a reason. Like paying you for a perfect fleatch or to tune my bow.

Also tell your girlfriend i said good luck with school. It is alot of work going to law school. I am real lucky i get paid to go then my loan and everything. Sucks they cut here loan i know a guy who was getting 3800 and it went down to 2800. Come to find out his math teacher dropped him because he had not turned anything in and the work was not even due yet. All my hunting money went out months ago for school stuff. SO i felt i had the right to take it out of my loan. Kind of like repaying my self. Plus not like it is free money i will be repaying it anyway
Yeah none of that was directed at you Tim.... I was on a rant haha.

Products are products... and most people could care less where they come from. You are pretty much right that he is crazy to expect people to pay 60% more for the same product. Bullets are kind of a bad example though in 2009... especially handgun ammo. The market has been so volitile that people will pay just about any price to have it.... I think we've had 7 boxes of .380 ammo come through the store since January. The market will dictate the price.

That shop, much like ours I suspect, gets loyalty out of their service and their sheer amount of knowledge. If a high school kid as Pro Bass does a bad job on a bow... he probably won't know about it.... and probably doesn't overwhelmingly care... he wants his pay check and his discount. If somebody comes in and a peep I tied in has rotated from the string settling.... I want to know about it! I take it extremely personally that everything I do to a customers bow is exactly as I would have it done myself. Thats what keeps customers coming back.

The good thing about having higher than normal prices on products (from a retailer's standpoint) is that you can dang near always give someone a discount without losing your shirt or being undersold... infact we pretty much figure that into our pricing... makes people feel good.... and they get the same product at the same price anyway... you can always go down after all..... and again.... it makes it more personal. Lots of people could care less... because they know we need to keep the lights on... and if they don't buy the product then the service won't be there in the long run.... it is very give and take.

Katie is in her second year of law school now. She hates it. Thats kinda the idea anyway. Apparently law school is kinda like navy seal training. She did intern work over the summer and loved it.... its what she's always wanted to do.... she'll make a great attorney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.