Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting the Wind Question >

Hunting the Wind Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting the Wind Question

Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default Hunting the Wind Question

Do most put the wind in their face or hit the side of their face?

Seems like what i notice is that deer move more crosswind direction in michigan.

Is that fairly common? It confuses me when all i hear is sit in a stand that faces the wind.

What is everyone else doing?

thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

ttt

anyone's advice
Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The intent is to have the wind blow from the deer to you, not the other way around. It doesn't matter what side of their face they smell you from. Your scent shouldn't be going in their direction.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Spike

True...True
Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Spike

it doesnt matter but most people face their stands where they think the deer will come from and a good wind for that would put you downwind, which would be in your face. it doesnt matter which way the wind is blowin jus as long as if isnt blowin towards the deer like wingbone said...
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

like was already stated, just be downwind of where you think they will cross. But use some scent control because they never cross where you want them to.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kldad06
like was already stated, just be downwind of where you think they will cross. But use some scent control because they never cross where you want them to.
x2 they never cross where you want them to
Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Besides attempting to hunt a stand where the wind is blowing away from the expected deer entrance/exit area, I try to have the wind blowing from me towards a brush pile, pond, cliff - something that prohibits deer from standing in that spot. But, I feel like my best locations are areas where the deer can be anywhere around me. The only way to hunt this is to get as scent free as possible.

I understand funnels and wish my property had more where I could sit to the side and have deer travel by right to left or left to right.

On a side note, either the left or right side of your stand should be towards the expected shooting spot. This depends on hand dominance. Don't put the front where you want to shoot. For rightys put the right side where you DON'T expect to shoot, left side for left handers. Make sense?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't put the front where you want to shoot. For rightys put the right side where you DON'T expect to shoot, left side for left handers. Make sense?
Usually.....but not always. For extended sets and all that stuff.... I hate looking sideways. It's uncomfortable and hard on the neck. I'll face the stand for the area that gives me the best viewing without having to sit there looking left all the time. It's hard on an old neck. In tight quarters where a fast shot has to happen yes... but in 99 percent of the situations, I'l take comfort knowing that if I've done it right I'll see them coming and have to to stand and get ready for the shot. The minute I see a deer I start plotting my standing, possible shot senerios etc. I hate twisting my neck for several hours to watch a funnel or a deer trail. Of course you have other considerations... like sun direction, cover and all that.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by davidmil
Usually.....but not always. For extended sets and all that stuff.... I hate looking sideways. It's uncomfortable and hard on the neck. I'll face the stand for the area that gives me the best viewing without having to sit there looking left all the time. It's hard on an old neck. In tight quarters where a fast shot has to happen yes... but in 99 percent of the situations, I'l take comfort knowing that if I've done it right I'll see them coming and have to to stand and get ready for the shot. The minute I see a deer I start plotting my standing, possible shot senerios etc. I hate twisting my neck for several hours to watch a funnel or a deer trail. Of course you have other considerations... like sun direction, cover and all that.

Nothing gives me a headache like looking out the sides of my eyes all afternoon. I totally understand where you are coming from.

I have found that I often prefer to face the tree when using a climbing stand.... it affords me the option of sort of hiding behind the tree.... and still allows me to look forward so I don't get the neck cramps... Turkey hunting with a shotgun on the ground is the same way.... but you can't get away with nearly as much movement as you can with a deer.

I tend to be a fidget.... so I try and make my set ups work to my advantage.... I find that I hold still the best when I am comfortable and relaxed..... so if I know I have a while to wait.... I'll make sure I'm facing dead ahead.... that way I'll hold still and be at least able to see some game rather than wiggling around in the tree like a big squirrel and spooking deer before they make themselves known.