Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Newbie and I've got questions >

Newbie and I've got questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie and I've got questions

Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Newbie and I've got questions

I've been an avid deer hunter since birth pretty much. I've got 3 farms that only I hunt... All the other guys in my family who hunt say that bow hunting is the only true way to appreciate deer hunting. Normally when I gun hunt its with a muzzleloader, I have both modern and traditional. I like the close kills and waiting for the right shot. My questions are

1. I'm used to still hunting with my guns. Can I do that and be productive or is doing time in the stand the only way to go here?

2. If I go for a stand, should I go climber or permanant and how many locations? Do ground blinds work? I usually go 3 - 5 locations with gun.

3. Any general advice would be great. I'm thinking my average shot is going to be around 20-30 yards but it could be closer. Kinda wondering how I should set my pins.

Thanks all
Old 09-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
I've been an avid deer hunter since birth pretty much. I've got 3 farms that only I hunt... All the other guys in my family who hunt say that bow hunting is the only true way to appreciate deer hunting. Normally when I gun hunt its with a muzzleloader, I have both modern and traditional. I like the close kills and waiting for the right shot. My questions are

1. I'm used to still hunting with my guns. Can I do that and be productive or is doing time in the stand the only way to go here?

2. If I go for a stand, should I go climber or permanant and how many locations? Do ground blinds work? I usually go 3 - 5 locations with gun.

3. Any general advice would be great. I'm thinking my average shot is going to be around 20-30 yards but it could be closer. Kinda wondering how I should set my pins.

Thanks all
still hunting with a bow is tough-but it can be done. windy and or wet days are great times to still hunt. deer tend to be bedded and wind/wetness can help you keep quiet. AS far as treestands-if you have straight trees go for the climber.You will be able to be mobile on all three farms. Otherwise you are looking at purchasing multiple hang on stands to cover all your spots. Ground blinds have there uses but imo i would get up in the air with a climber. If you dont plan on shooting more than 30yds just go with a 20 and 30 pin. you could also just go one pin and set it at 25. Thats all your personal preferrance on how many/few pins you want.