Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

doe snortin

Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default doe snortin

so toinght i was sittin in my stand, and a doe and a fawn came in about 20-22 yds from me and started feedin on some acorns, after about 10 min, a mosquito lands on my neck. I dont want to move because both deer were facing me, the mosiquito must have called its friends because about 4 or 5 more came and were bitin my neck, i couldnt take it any longer so i slowly moved my hand and scratched my neck, at the same time this doe looks up at me and stomps her foot down, and lets out a big snort, tails go up and shes prancin around snortin, im not sure she knew what i was so i started gruntin at her, like you would to stop a moving deer. my question is what should i have done in this situation and did i scare them off for good? sorry for long story lol
Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unlikely that you scared them off for good. Is this a fixed stand or a tree you use a climber? Could you move easy enough 20 yards one way or another? Field, woods, situation?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Spike

its a hang on stand that i put up during the summer, its about 20 yards off the edge of a field where ive had pics of bucks comin in all summer, but everytime ive been out there nothin has came in except these does!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Patience Grasshopper! LOL Bucks are just starting to move... Oh yeah those does will be back.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

You got caught. Like Rob said. Move your stand if possible and i'd probably stay out of it for a few days. Grunting at her probably wasn't the best idea. No need to draw anymore attn. to yourself once she caught movement from the mosquito problem.

Dan

Last edited by mfd1027; 09-18-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Go buy a Thermacel they really do work.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, you need a Thermacell.

Dan
Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I spook a deer that HAS NOT seen me, but has spooked due to sound or something of the sort (like while walking into a stand) I will snort BACK to the alerted deer. Deer will snort sometimes as a communication tool. If you snort back, they typically settle back down and think it was just another deer that spooked them.

I played this game with a doe last year for about fifteen minutes while trying to walk out of a stand in the dark.. She'd snort, run away, I'd snort back, and she'd walk right back to me... Then she'd spook again, I'd snort, she'd come back.. All I was trying to do was settle her down --not call her back.. But everytime I'd snort back she'd walk right back to me.. I ended up saying screw it and walked out after she walked away the third or fourth time.. But I would definitely say that the snorting back calmed her enough to approach me atleast three times...

Dont think this is just some remedy I conjured up either lol.. I actually heard this tip somewhere before, so I tried it, and it's worked for me a few times..
Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Spike

alrighty, thanks for the replies guys!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

If she offered.....I would have shot her.

Dead does tell no tales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.