Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Bait

Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Bait

I have used the store bought fancy baits and some of them work ok. This year I have gone a different route and started to buy hard corn on the cob off a local farmer. I mix in some mineral with it then dump them out. I have never seen more deer in my life coming to these piles I dump out. I get this for a fraction of the cost and have much better results. What are some of the products you guys use and wat have you gotten the best results with?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Rot row, you just opened a can of worms.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Apple trees and corn fields...
Old 09-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't rely on bait to kill my deer, so I would have no idea.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Bait???? What the heck do you need bait for??? Aren't you talented enuff to harvest the most magnificent big game animal out there on your own? Just my opinion...but baiting deer is for SISSY's!!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Too funny. I do have a question, what is the difference between planning a plot and hunting it or dumping a pile of corn? I am not a saint, for I have baited when it was legal but it sure is more fun to go out with a climber and place yourself between the feeding and safe zone. Just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by niehenke
Too funny. I do have a question, what is the difference between planning a plot and hunting it or dumping a pile of corn? I am not a saint, for I have baited when it was legal but it sure is more fun to go out with a climber and place yourself between the feeding and safe zone. Just my opinion.
I agree, although I do not hunt over bait because is also illegal in michigan, I find it very funny how people can mock others for there preference of hunting style which in this case is baiting. Those same people probably climb into there stands and hunt over 1/4-1 acre food plots that they placed there to do just that. Now tell me what is the difference of throwing some apples and corn on the ground compared to a small hunting plot or even hunting over an apple tree as someone had also mentioned. Does it make you a better hunter because your able to have a stand positioned over an apple tree, next to a small plot, or even hung in a giant oak tree, I doubt it!!! On my property I have small food plot, big trecks of corn, soy beans, and alfalfa, I also have numerous apple trees and oak trees but if someone wants to bait go for because thats their choice. Hey if it was legal I probably would do here and there as well, I know that how I would start off my boy hunting. I thought we are suppose to get people involved in the outdoors, which is something I charish!!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

This is just a shot in the dark here, but it's something I've noticed in reading a lot of these baiting threads...and just because I don't post a lot doesn't mean I don't read alot.

It seems that most of those who criticize and are opposed to "baiting" deer just happen to live in areas where it isn't legal. There are a handful who can but don't, but it vastly seems that the majority of those opposed just simply can't bait anyway. Is there a connection there somewhere?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohh come on that is not good bow hunting behavior. Just because he baits does not make him a sissy or mean that hes lazy. Thats just how he hunts. I hunt over an 8 & 15 acre corn fields, does that make me a sissy or lazy? No. Because I know what deer like and they like corn. If one decides to bait, he should not be condemned for doing so. But if you think so, think about how you hunt. You hunt over a food plot im sure, its no different. If not im sure you use acorns to your advantage, well guess what, you might as well consider yourself a sissy.

Originally Posted by Stone316_74
Bait???? What the heck do you
need bait for??? Aren't you talented enuff to harvest the most magnificent big game animal out there on your own? Just my opinion...but baiting deer is for SISSY's!!!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Beezer
This is just a shot in the dark here, but it's something I've noticed in reading a lot of these baiting threads...and just because I don't post a lot doesn't mean I don't read alot.

It seems that most of those who criticize and are opposed to "baiting" deer just happen to live in areas where it isn't legal. There are a handful who can but don't, but it vastly seems that the majority of those opposed just simply can't bait anyway. Is there a connection there somewhere?
I have a couple of small private spots where I could put bait out leagally, but don't. "Baiting" means drawing deer to a SPECIFIC location where they can easily be taken/killed. Food plots and crop fields draw deer to a much more "GENERAL" area, giving them much more of a fair chance. This is how "I" see it.

I simply rely on a deer's "natural" movement and my ability to locate my stand in a favorable location to get a shot. If it's legal and someone wants to hunt like that, so be it. Just don't come bragging to me when you shoot your buck that couldn't resist the "easy pickings" you provided him. Good luck out there guys, and BE SAFE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.