Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
shooting deer from? >

shooting deer from?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting deer from?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default shooting deer from?

Well hello all, im new to compound bow hunting but question? I love my summit but in one spot i hunt for deer , they look up, in another they just walk. So ive been practicing sitting on the ground literally, my back against my fencelegs open shooting 10 20 30 40 50 yards, has anybody taken deer this way? The place i hunt is a golf course and the deer are use to humans,,,,,,,,,,go figure. im pumped just 2 weeks and im thinking of leaving summit home and giving the ground a try.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

You can do it...killed my first buck on ground (still hunting though) sweet 21" 10pt...wow..that was awesome..damn near threw up after I grab hold of him I got so spun up! getn a shot on the ground is frikin AWESOME
Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Typical Buck

my first whitetail was taken on the ground in michigan UP stalked intio a sleeping buck about 20 yards i think i nearly threw up to when i got hold of him only a small four pointer but he was a monster to me
Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I killed my first sitting on a 5 gallon bucket while on the ground...
This was in 1968...
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol last year i put a lawn chair in the middle of a feild, sat there with my gun. I had a spike come 20 yards from me.....

yes it can be done
Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Took my cousin opening day last year, it was his first bowhunt ever. He had been practicing with me all summer. He had a climber (which is what we practiced out of sometimes) but couldn't find a good tree. So he sat on the ground beside an open field. Stuck a nice 7ptr at about 25 yards. Hit him right in the numbers!!! Deer went maybe 30 yards in the woods and piled up..... Yes it can be done!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I cant count the number of deer Ive shot while kneeling on the ground. Most with a 70" longbow, or 58" recurve. The key is; practice how in ways you might have to hunt. Opening day, I wont be hunting my land rather a good friends. Ill be on the ground the whole time. Mostly spot and stalk. When I get set, ill be in either a makes shift ground blind, or kneeling by a tree. Shot two deer on his land last season while kneeling in an open field, behind some tall grass, shooting an Osage selfbow 70" ntn.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last year i hunted both on the ground and in my stand I was hunting a bean field by a creek. Sit there for 5 hours no deer no rattleing no nothing. I start walking out and see 8 deer headed toward me in the middle of the field. My first throught was move back to the blind. But i was 100 yard from the tree line or the blind with my bow in one had the handle of my deer cart in the other. I stand there full camo no orange(not law here during bow season) I figure they would go on the other way. They move 20 yards to 80 out infront of me. Then the odd part they see me and 5 out of 8 of them run 40 yards out and stop. i nock my arrow and come up slowly to draw. They move out to 80 yards and turn broadside. I almost shot the 4 point that was closes. But a 80 yard shot without having shot it before not me atleast without practice.
Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
lol last year i put a lawn chair in the middle of a feild, sat there with my gun. I had a spike come 20 yards from me.....

yes it can be done