Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
A little help in Iraq >

A little help in Iraq

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little help in Iraq

Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default A little help in Iraq

Hi all, not one to ask for hand outs but one of my buddies and I want to set up and archery range here at camp speicher in Iraq. We already got the greenlight from our commander but he said the rest is up to us. if there is any one out there that might be willing to donate some targets or know where we can get them for really low prices please fell free to contact me at my e-mail [email protected]. Any little bit of help to get this thing up and running would be much appreciated. Thanx....

John D.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

My suggestion would be to make your own targets on the spot. Many make targets out of feed bags stuffed with rags or shrink wrap and they make great targets for field points. You should be able to make something similar then use some scrap wood from pallets to make a hanging stand to hold them.

Thank You for your service,

Bob
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

the sportsmans guide has some real cheap walmart sells them for like 20 bucks. Whats going to kill you is the shipping to iraq I would try and make some old clothes rags anything will work
Old 09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

I was just gonna mention shipping. Something that big would be a lot of $$
Old 09-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

What's your home unit? Do you have anyone living around an AMC base? If so, you can have them give targets to USO and they can fwd by MIL Airlift to a POC at your base in Iraq.

OR

Directly contact companies..I know you will run into shipping issues this way...so Upfront tell them to ship to APO AE...if they can..problem solved...did this with icy-pops for guys working C-130s in 130 deg. desert heat...they sent me 10 cases 100 each...gota love companies supporting US forces!!

If you need help...I leave S. Korea end of Oct and be at Dover AFB, DE in Dec...after taking all Nov off to bow hunt/family time....add me to friends list....I am C-5 aircraft maintenance supervisor...I can throw a box on jet cuz they are MY jets and i know where they are going cuz it MY flying schedule...let me know n keep safe!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Im with 1st Infantry Division out of Fort Riley, Kansas. I wish I did know some one near an AMC base which would make life easier for a lot of us. I dont want to say much on here due to known reasons but as far as COB Speicher goes, we do have an airfield here. However I havent seen a single C-5 come through here just 130s, 17s, and 23s. Either way, Im going to look into writting a few companys. I've helped make cabelas rich so Im hoping they will reciprocate. Once we get this thing up and running I'll try to post some pics of it.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

I hear insurgents make awesome targets! Some come with a little firework display if hit just right. HooRah! Get Some!