Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What a happy/sad day >

What a happy/sad day

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a happy/sad day

Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Spike

Default What a happy/sad day

After the advice from the forums on getting my first bow set up out the door for around the $500 range i went to bass pro and picked up the ready to shoot PSE Stinger, was so excited to get it home and shoot it put maybe 40 arrows threw it when my brother in law (who is not a bow hunter) asked if he could check it out so of course i let him as hes holding it he pulls it back with his fingers and before i could get "just dont dry........" bam he dry fired my brand new bow within 4 hours of owning the damn thing, i got a sick feeling in my gut and wanted to beat him to death with the bow. The peep site snapped off the string and i couldn't see anymore problems with the bow (no cracks, or bent cams) i went from an extreme high of being so happy with my new investment to now im worried to death the things gonna blow up or cost me hundred's of dollars in the long run, no visible damage and after re adjusting the sights it still shoots like it did before the dry fire, should i take it to a pro shop? I dont even know where to go from here, i keep reading horror stories online about dry fires and am not sure if anyone else has dry fired there PSE or not, any advise would help, and killing my brother in law is not an option even tho i have contemplated it.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Actually the same thing happened to me. I bought the same bow last year.had it for two days. It shot great and i loved it. My cousin dry fired mine, and i was very worried. Took it to the pro shop and no problems. But let that be a lesson to you as it was to me. Don't let anyone pull your bow back without an arrow knocked and something to shoot at. Im sure bass pro will look it over for free. Im sure u will love this bow. Not the fastest , but very smooth shooting and forgiving. Also very quiet. Alot of bow for the money.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Spike

Just did it last thursday- and I've never done that. I've been shooting a bow for 29 years. Horrible feeling, rookie mistake on my part...Except mine was a brand new PSE OMEN, and it was about 30 seconds after I took it out of the box...and I bled all over the carpet- PSE will give it a once over if you want to send it in. He's lucky he's not hurt- I took a cut to the forehead that went to the bone. Could have been much worse. There are holes in the sheet rock in the living room to remind me of my poor judgement.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Spike

I am looking for a pro shop around my area (without much luck) don't really want to take it to a dicks sporting goods or gander mountain but may end up doing so, also i cant find my serial number on the bow to register it with PSE anyone know where i can find that at so it's under warranty if something does end up going south with it?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

I use to work at Gander (for fun more than anything) and the first thing I would tell people after handing them the idiot proof non-fireable release) was "don't let go" (not that they could) and explained the dire consequences of doing so. ANYONE touches my bows, I tell them that if you let it go without an arrow, you're buying me the same bow, only newer.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RockyMountainHigh
I am looking for a pro shop around my area (without much luck) don't really want to take it to a dicks sporting goods or gander mountain but may end up doing so, also i cant find my serial number on the bow to register it with PSE anyone know where i can find that at so it's under warranty if something does end up going south with it?
Not sure on PSEs but on most bows it is on the riser right where your rest connects to the bow. Your rest is probably covering it. Good luck with it. WCL
Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Wow man that blows... just be lucky he wasn't seriously hurt!!! You should be good, but I would have someone check it out just to be Safe... I'm taking it you don't have a local shop. And no Bass Pro close from what your saying. If Dick's sporting goods is your last resort its better than nothing
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Spike

thanks for the help guys, appreciate it taking it to Dicks sporting goods once i get off work for the day and will go home and check under my rest for the serial number, will keep yall posted.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks , i'd make myself feel better by beating him anyway and then telling him he has to take as far as the next bass pro shop to get it checked over . PSE will sort it , serial number should be on the manual or paperwork you got with the bow i think .
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't let anyone touch...period