Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why am i inconsistent... >

Why am i inconsistent...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why am i inconsistent...

Old 09-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why am i inconsistent...

well until about a week ago i was scared to shoot past 30 for fear of losing an arrow...lately i have been shooting 40 and 50 and feeling confident at 40 but i am having a problem at 50.....i aim for the heart dead on and shoot it is about 8 inches low...and then the next time i aim 8 inches higher and it hits where i aim 8 inches higher( the top of the deer on my target)...what would make it do this???
Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dropping the bow arm to look for the arrow causes low hits.That might be part of the reason,drop arm one time but not the next.

Most likely the main issue is not a proper aim/release sequence.You need to be letting the pin float on the spot,do not try to force it to stop on the spot.That will cause the arrows to miss the spot.(think about it this way,if you are forcing the pin ON the spot,where will the pin go when it moves.Off the spot.But,if the pin is floating,the pin continually comes back to center.)Secondly,the release needs to be fired with a surprise release.This way you are not pulling the pin off the spot when the release goes off.

Light trigger pull also causes alot of issues like this.They do not allow you to settle the pin on the spot while letting it float and applying slow pressure to get a surprise release.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Well I hate to say it but it's usually the Indian in these cases and if I had to suspect one thing it would be an "inconsistent anchor point". Make sure your anchor point is solid, repeatable and consistent. As far as your equipment goes tighten every bolt, nut and screw on your setup.

Dan
Old 09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Buy a Matthews. If you don't have one of those, you will never be a good bow hunter.

haha...thats what all my buddies with Matthews tell me. I shoot a Bowtech personally.

Try not to think about any previous shots. Just pick you point, settle in, and shoot. Do you best to use the same grip, the same trigger squeeze, breathe the same, and try to keep you arm up after the shot (follow through kind of). Just be consistent with everything and you will be fine.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not an amazing archery by any means just to throw that out there....i do try and float over the spot and shoot like you said...i need a new release...a tru ball would be amazing....shot it lastnight and omg....amazing haha i do have the same grip and anchor point every time just like every shot at 20 30 40 yards...i cant move my pin down because it is as low as it can go without moving all the other pins and sighting them in....
Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Spike

It only makes sense that it is a problem with the mechanics of your shot. Think about it there is nothing different in the way your bow shoots at different distances, it doesn't know the difference in 40 and 50. So it must be a psychological hang up of yours, I know if I get to thinking about a shot too much I am going to flinch or something. But after all a 50 yrd. shot is just a 10 yd. continuation of a 40 yd. shot. That being said the farther your arrow travels the more evident your mistakes are, at 20 yds. your arrow can only veer off so far before it hits the target, but at 50 it has 30 more yds. to exaggerate even the smallest misque. Another thing to think about is make sure your sight and pins are tight and not moving around on you. Just tryin' to give you some things to think about, Good Luck.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe a little case of TP??? I know for me, shooting at distance used to be a trick! I would see the pin floating really bad(b/c the target is soo far away obviously) and I would get target panic and punch the hell outta the release as soon as my pin got close. Even if i didnt punch, I would get froze on the spot and feel that once I got steady I HAD to shoot or the opportunity to make a decent shot was over. Maybe your case, maybe not?

Another thing that helped me with range was simply this. Stare down the spot you are trying to hit with everything youve got. Even if you have to stare at it before you ever draw the bow. Focus HARD! Draw the bow and never take your eye off of the spot even going through the motion. Keep staring at the spot, and focus on the spot and it will help you follow through. Keep burning a hole into that spot even after the bow has fired and the arrow is long gone. Until you hear the hit, dont take your eyes off of the spot regardless of where the arrow is headed. Ive found that at times, my pin wont even be on the spot (noticing in my periferial) but I will still hit it b/c that is where my focus was. Like TFOX said, it will go back to the spot if that is what you are focusing on.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Inconsistent arrows often means your arrows are under spined.Try a lighter point and/or lower the poundage.If the problem still persists it's likely something the others mentioned.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Spike

well it could jus be because you havent gotten used to shooting at those distances...are you grouping arrows at those places or are you jus hitting all over the place...if you are grouping arrows high and then low or left then right it has to do with your form but if your arrows are showin no consistency then it has to do with your marksmanship and that'll come with practice.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

all very very good points....i am not used to shooting from 50 so i am not used to it yet....since my sight is off i do have a lil TP being afraid to lose an arrow....and i dont have a grouping at 50...i shoot 2 arrows at a time and usually they are not in a group...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.