HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many use Mechanical's How many use fixed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/303496-how-many-use-mechanicals-how-many-use-fixed.html)

-DeerSlayer- 09-16-2009 11:46 AM

I use the RAGE

nysmoker 09-16-2009 01:13 PM

I have used many replacement style fixed blades ... a few years back i tried the mechanical s. had a broad side shot on a doe at 10 yards and arrow deflected on a rib causing the arrow to pass through just under the spine. Just found some hair. No blood .I looked for 2 hours that night and called off work the next day to search in the pouring rain.Never found anything but hair and 4 days later i found her with the arrow still in her spoiled and half eaten by the yotes.Because I couldnt get a new bow to shoot my fixed blades I took the easy way out killed an animal with no recoveryand missed 8 hours pay ... made me sick.The mechanicals i was shooting were acurate. It was the angle of the shot... had that shot been made with a full cut on point or trocar point there is no doubt in my mind that deer whould have been in the freezer.Smashed all the mechancals i had , tossed them in the trash and put the bow in the closet for the season.I have since fixed the problem and back to shooting muzzy 4 blade, and have had many clean kills since.Dont jump on me im not slamming anybody for what they use its just my expierience... couldnt stand the thought of a buck of a life time rotting away in a thicket someplace.

PABuck_HNTR 09-16-2009 01:22 PM

Been shooting NAP Spitfires for a few years without any issues. Considering trying Rage 3 blade's got a pack for free. Also interested in trying Slick Tricks

deerdart 09-17-2009 05:15 AM

does any one shoot the throphy ridge machanicals there the same price as the rage and claim to be better

4evrhtn 09-17-2009 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by nysmoker (Post 3443292)
a few years back i tried the mechanical s. had a broad side shot on a doe at 10 yards and arrow deflected on a rib causing the arrow to pass through just under the spine. Just found some hair. No blood .

Smashed all the mechancals i had , tossed them in the trash and put the bow in the closet for the season.I have since fixed the problem and back to shooting muzzy 4 blade, and have had many clean kills since.Dont jump on me im not slamming anybody for what they use its just my expierience... couldnt stand the thought of a buck of a life time rotting away in a thicket someplace.

I had a very simillar experience with the rage 3 blade last year. I shot at a doe quartering away from me and the arrow deflected off her ribs, slicing her shoulder as it skimmed off her. I had no blood trail and only 2 fletchings had blood from sliding against the cut. I went home and threw 3 packs of rage 3 blades in the trash. I would have given them to someone but felt I wounded one deer with them and I won't contribute to someone else doing the same. I hunted that doe specifically for the rest of the season and finally went into the thickets where I knew the does were bedding, she was the last to jump up and was the slowest running, easy to pick her out. I finished her with an 8mm mauser but it makes me angry knowing I had wounded her because of bad equipment and not because I made a bad shot. I had another incident prior to this when shooting through a blind and the rage punched a hole through the mesh rather than slicing. I took this shot at a target not a deer because I didn't have confidence in them in that scenario so I had bought the G5's strikers then but only used them in the blind, now I use nothing but the strikers since wounding that doe. But other guys have great success with mechanicals, they are just not for me.

I also want to state I am not desiring a debate over which is best, but personal experiences relating to a type of broadhead are welcomed.

pheasantfanatic 09-17-2009 08:28 AM

Mechanical: G5 Tekans

4evrhtn 09-19-2009 10:35 AM

I was hoping for more participation

Michbowhunter 09-19-2009 11:11 AM

I use 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips, which technically are mechanical broadheads; however, they can also be fired while fully open as fixed blade.

longhunter 66 09-19-2009 05:28 PM

with a recurve i used afixed and now i use swacker with my bear bow

nysmoker 09-21-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3444016)
I went home and threw 3 packs of rage 3 blades in the trash. I would have given them to someone but felt I wounded one deer with them and I won't contribute to someone else doing the same.

Exactly why i smashed them and tossed them ... sucks tossing out 75 bucks worth of chit

BTBowhunter 09-21-2009 02:18 PM

Mechanicals shot from a well tuned bow into a perfectly broadside animal are fine.

The problem arises when the arrows and bow are not tuned properly and the mechanicals become a bandaid fix on a bigger problem . (IMHO, the most common reason that mecahnicals get used is when the hunter is having flight problems with his fixed blades)

The kinetic energy of a 400 grain arrow is something that can be degraded very quickly by unstable flight or by uneven resistance when the arrow hits the animal. Some mechanicals are better than others but the mechanics of opening that head uses some of that KE. Angle hits from an unstable (wobbly) arrow take a whole lot more precious KE away that could be crucial to adequate penetration.

Just my $.02