Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does first or Bucks >

Does first or Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does first or Bucks

Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Does first or Bucks

I know the bucks are the first to leave the fields in the early morning, do they usually keep on heading toward the bedding area or do they wait off the field edge for the does to leave the field and to lead the way back toward the bedding area? I do not have much morning hunting under my belt and have shot does if the first to come by probablly blowing a chance at a buck. My stand is about 100 yrds off the field between the field and the river bottom, have shot both bucks and does in this area during gun season on this trail.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year the bucks and does are pretty much seperate. I don't know if there is a way to know for sure which deer leaves first. If you are waiting for a buck, be patient.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

i agree, right now patients is about the only thing i know to rely on. although in my area it is so warm still that the deer are going from bedding to feed to water most every morning, its still not a pattern as to when the bucks will move in relationship to the does. i do know my best ideas have resulted from the scenario you descride above. The does basically always lead the bucks, even out of rut, if they are together. when the bucks are still in batchelor groups they typically arent seen with does during travel but might congregate during the feeding time based on the food source availablility. i would sit back and wait for them to follow suit with the does even if they leave the field first, unless they all come in together (the bucks). then i might try to set up ahead of them moving to or from the field, according to wind and sunrise.