Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First year bow hunting >

First year bow hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First year bow hunting

Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned

Question First year bow hunting

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and i'm just now starting bow hunting(first year. YIPPY!!!!) Any tips for anything i should look out for? I'm hunting white tailed deer.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Spike

spend as much time as you can studying deer. their behavior in every season, not just hunting season. do your homework and be smart. nothing can take the place of being prepared and get in a tree as much as you can. hours and hours and hours of observing and making mental notes. you will love the sport.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Hey thanks! i also have another question, how high should my tree stand be? I mean what's a good decent height? Bow hunting is starting in 2 days so i'm just going to make a make-shift stand(you know, 2 by 4's nailed to a tree) thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Spike

depends. i hunt as high as i can. for two reasons, scent and keeping out of line of sight of the buck or does. if you are using 2 x 4's i would be careful and make sure you use a climbing harness or something. i use climbing stands or screw in steps with portable stands. make sure you tether yourself to that tree. its really easy to lose your balance and fall. safety for your own neck is priority one
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think your going slow in the woods your not!!! Go slower!! AND if you hunt from a treestand ALWAYS WEAR A FULL BODY HARNESS!!!! There are some Top Notch hunters and great people on this site!! Keep asking ??? they will help you out. Good Luck this year, welcome to the site and be safe!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mrspy
Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and i'm just now starting bow hunting(first year. YIPPY!!!!) Any tips for anything i should look out for? I'm hunting white tailed deer.
Welcome to the site and to the world of bowhunting!!! Things you should look out for...hmmm-i guess i would say get ready to make mistakes. Looking back at my first few years it was all about learning from my mistakes and not getting discouraged. Hopefully you have someone to help you out as you go-that will make it a little easier. I didnt have that, but now i love it much more because i had to figure it out on my own. Either way you have to be ready to accept failure and learn from it. A great bowhunter takes the bad and turns it into determination to succeed. Practice is always a must but critical as a beginner. Good Luck!!!! BTW dont be afraid to ask questions- there are alot of really smart bowhunters with a countless amount of info and experience to help you along the way!!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Yes i'll definetaly put safety first. I guess i could get a rope and tie myself. I dunno, i havn't even seen the place i'm going to hunt. A friends letting me go over and hunt on his property and i havn't worked the details out yet.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Thanks, yes i definetaly think i'm going to screw up sometime this year. Fortunately the person who gave me my bow is a really good friend and has been bow hunting for about 45 years. So he'll definetaly be able to help me out. Plus there's always the good side...........i have three months to correct myself with bow hunting
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mrspy
Yes i'll definetaly put safety first. I guess i could get a rope and tie myself. I dunno, i havn't even seen the place i'm going to hunt. A friends letting me go over and hunt on his property and i havn't worked the details out yet.
a rope wont cut it!! if you dont have a harness or cant afford one post a thread askin if sum1 has one you can have. Every treestand comes with a harness and alot of guys have extras they would give you-im sure of it. I would almost bet when sum1 reads this post they will offer you one if they have one laying around. i just gave away the 4 extras i had a month ago at my yard sale.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Ok i'll do that. Actually i think that my friend has one. Is this a Wisconsin forum? Cuz tha'ts where i live........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.