Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Preparation for the hunt of my life...the Yukon >

Preparation for the hunt of my life...the Yukon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Preparation for the hunt of my life...the Yukon

Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wanted to wish you luck. What an awesome hunt. Can't wait to read the story when you get back.

Shane
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't give you any personal advice, as I have never done it. My buddy did, and killed one. The thing that he said most amazed him was the Moose's hearing ability. He said "they have ears as big as a football". LOL, so I guess be quiet! Good luck!

Mike
Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck Kelly. Only advice I can give is shoot straight. I look forward to hearing about the trip on your safe return.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say I have any advice, but certainly good luck. Staying DRY would be the key when you're up away from it all in those conditions I would bet. Good moisture wicking base layers would be ideal if you're going to be on the move a lot, but I'm sure you have that covered. Can't wait for the pictures and hopefully success story!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Spike

Good Luck!
I was up in northern BC (about 20 miles from the Yukon border) a few years ago with the rifle for a moose hunt. It was a blast, and I can't wait to go back with a bow.
Here are some tips:

Bring some good rain gear
Bring lots of film/memory cards and take LOTS of pics
Bring a pair of slippers and a new pair of cotton socks (they feel GREAT in camp after a long day of walking around the hills)
I assume you're flying in, so makre sure you're not exceeding the pilots weight limit (our pilot checked)
Watch moose hunting videos to get used to the sound that a rutting bull makes (it's very hard to hear, but after you hear your first one, you'll never forget it, and it becomes easy to pick up)
Your Non-Rain gear should be quiet (preferrable wool)
Make sure your guide knows what size bull you're looking for (they all look big when they come crashing through the bush)

Have a blast and show some pics when you get back!

John
Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck and shoot straight! I'm jealous.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good friend of mine just returned from a grizz hunt yesterday, got one that went 8'8", and the one thing he said is absolutely important are dry feet. Bring two pairs of the same boots if you can, one to leave in camp for a day to get totally dry, and then others to wear while the others dry. Wet feet an hour into the hunt can ruin it, both by them getting cold, and then your feet can start to slip around the insides of your boots, and your wet skin blisters and opens up much easier. Quality raingear that you can move well in is another must-have. There is a lot of stuff available today that doesn't feel much different than the standard outwear, which is miles ahead of the old rubber suiit crap that you get just as wet from sweat.

Best of luck, looking forward to the stories and pics upon your return!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I would suggest is having some quality hip waders that you can roll down when you're not using them. I hunted Black Bear in Alaska and I bought a good pair of insulated hip waders and let me tell you, they were worth their weight in gold. I would imagine you'll be in some boggy areas that would be over most boottops when looking for moose. Roll em up when you're in the water, roll em down when you're not. These also work great if you're navigating any rivers when getting into and out of the boat.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a blast. I error on the side of one item I can't be without, a credit card.

Hope it's all that and more!