Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
STand posistion opinion. >

STand posistion opinion.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

STand posistion opinion.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Spike

Default STand posistion opinion.

Ok heres my dilema, I originally set up my stand where I know a 10 pt with 3 does feeds. I noticed later how open It was. I move my stand to a different tree say 40 yds away. Not overlooking same spot but a heavy feeding area on a field edge, (Meat 1st then antlers after for me) It has good position and lanes for many does and maybe an 8 pt.
I went today to clear a few branches to finish off the prep for next week. A new trail is beaten down. DIRECTLY below my stand. With the cattle that frequent the field I had to make sure. Sure as sunrise, doe tracks. Not a bad sized doe for the area. Since she had not had the trail there prior to hanging the stand (I would of positioned another place. NOT OVER a active trail.) and uses that trail now, passing directly under my stand, I am split whether to move or stay. I have a great shooting lane if she comes underneath me say 10 yds out (Another tree overhangs trail after that far) but am deciding if I shuould chance spooking her and getting busted.
I am fairly confident I could get a bead on her and can draw sitting, so less movement.

How many would chance the set up, on that doe, and would anyone move to avoid the "conflict". I know personally what I decide can be a good/bad call situtation, but wanted some insights from others.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Fork Horn

In my experience, most deer, not all, will change there traveling paths in the fall. I think its due to the rut and hunting pressure. All the deer I see on my trail cam's, most of them I don't see at all during hunting season. The one's I see all summer in my back yard are gone also. It may not be the same for everyone, thats just what happens to me. I leave my stands up all year, but I can because no one else hunts the land but me and the land owner.
I think they will use the the old trail the most, so I think you will be ok, but thats just my opinion. I still have about 5 more weeks before bow season starts here.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Spike

Seadon starts here next week, the 15th. And the land is only hunted by bow by me starting this year and 2 out of state guys (Not sure if they comin in this year) during gun season the hunters stick to the fields, where their trucks don't get stuck, (Not my idea of hunting) I was just semi concerned because the freahness of the new trail. Last week there was NO trail there. Not even a bend in the grass. This week it looks like its been used since the day I moved the stand. Which is why origanallly I thought cattle.
Time will tell I guess and have plenty time and opertunity to move the stand IF I get busted.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

I would leave your stand where it is and sit a couple of times to see what happens. Sounds like you are n the right spot and if your stand is high enough with great cover you should not have an issue
Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Spike

I will tell you, to me that is the best shot you could have. I think. I had the same shot one time and talk about exciting. The best time for them to not know you are there is when they are right under you I mean directly under you, by the time they move it is way to late for them anyways. If that was the deer you wanted.

Keep me posted on how that works out for you.