Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Instinctive compound shooting with a release >

Instinctive compound shooting with a release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Instinctive compound shooting with a release

Old 05-22-2003, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Instinctive compound shooting with a release

" The dedication needed to be a decent let alone good instinctive shooter is much more then the average bowhunter would realize"
My God, that' s sad.
I' ve learned to hit consistently out to about 15 yards looking down the shaft for just such a reason. Lots of time the sika deer I hunt don' t move until the very last light, very nocturnal, so a peep isn' t always an option, and there' s a few minutes every evening when you can see a deer clearly at 10 yards, but can' t see through a peep. Not exactly " instinctive" , but very doable. Am I unethical? [:-
Old 05-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would warn anyone who thinks about using instinctive shooting as a backup to sight failures in the field , it takes alot of practice! If your not shooting instictively at least a few times a week during the season and your sight breaks on your way to your stand , go home!
Old 05-22-2003, 08:19 PM

Instinctive shooting with a compound, nothing wrong with it. It seems to be a lost skill, especially among compound shooters.

When I first started bow hunting in the early 70' s, with a compound bow, I shot by instinct and was successful. Gradually incorporated sights through the years and have been successful also.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with shooting by insinct, but you have to practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more.

If you can confidently hit where you aim, more power to ya.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

I' m planning on shooting instinctively with my compound bow this summer. I don' t think its unethical at all as long as you practice before hand. I have a friend who use to shoot his old Browning compound with no sights, a cheap plastic flipper rest, and shooting fingers and he was able to hit a grapefruit at 30 yards.
Oh by the way, I' m shooting a compound instintively for bowfishing carp and gar...
Old 05-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Robert Williams

I think you need to go back and read my post again.

I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU.

I said if you CAN see the animals vitals then it is perfectly ethical to take the shot.No where did I mention anything about a peep sight.I can see an animal through a peep in almost complete darkness.Some others need to look beside the peep or not use one at all.THEIR CHOICE.

As far as the rest of what I posted,it was completely in reference to what tech 29 posted.We all have ethics that we try to abide by but they do sway from time to time depending on the cicumstances.Then you post something about what you did and everyone comes out on the boards and starts screaming ethics, when they know that they might very well do the same thing.

Case in point,I shot a small deer with a quartering to me shot.Unethical,most would say so and even I call this a bad shot.I was there and I was the only one there.I knew this was a completely good shot in this cicumstance.The deer was small,very small and I had no meat.The deer had been there for about 10 minutes in the field in front of me and I wasn' t going to shoot it but it just stayed too long and so I decided I was going to take it.The deer was broadside when I pulled the bow back and turned toward me when I was at full draw.I had a good setup and the deer was small.I knew by my skill level that I was able to hit the exact spot and the arrow had enough juice to get through whatever bone I would encounter.So I shot.The arrow completely shot through the deer and was a heart lung shot and the deer expired in 25 yards.

Unethical shot but was completely ethical to me at the time(but not always).Now everyone can start screaming how I shouldn' t take the quartering to you shot.

Old 05-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unethical shot but was completely ethical to me at the time(but not always).Now everyone can start screaming how I shouldn' t take the quartering to you shot.
I did the same exact thing the year before last. You made a damn good point!
Old 05-23-2003, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Bowfanatic.

I am glad you got it.[:-][8D]
Old 05-24-2003, 06:23 AM

My mistake Tfox. I see what you meant now. I' ve got to admit I was a bit surpised by the agita this caused in a few people and got a little trigger happy, perhaps. My apologies.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

No problem Robert.

I immagine that with people jumping on you that you were just a bit trigger happy.

Quick Reply: Instinctive compound shooting with a release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.